Late 2011 MBP 13" SSD in optibay or HDD bay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kenc1103, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Kenc1103 macrumors member

I will be putting in an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD in my late 2011 MBP 13" in a few days, wondering if I should put it in the optibay or HDD bay as they both support 6Gb/s? Will there be any SMS issue if putting in the optibay?

2. simsaladimbamba

As the optical disk drive (ODD) slot does not use SMS, I would (and am using in a 2009 MBP) the HDD bay for the HDD, as that keeps the SMS intact and the ODD by for the SSD.

3. rubirock macrumors regular

so, with this set up (I also have a mid 09 mbp), are you able to use the ssd as the boot drive without having to hold down option to select it?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Actually, I don't think it's optimal to keep the HDD in the original position, even though you will be losing SMS. Putting the SSD in the HDD location and the HDD in the optibay is the optimal setup.

Look at this article. This was setup in how in the configuration that's being suggested above. However, problems were encountered since the computer doesn't look at the optibay drive first upon waking up.
    http://lifehacker.com/5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

I am in the middle of doing this upgrade and I will be doing this switch. I am weary about the loss of the SMS but I don't want to encounter any potential drive accessibility problems.

6. simsaladimbamba

I didn't have any wake issues, the only slow down I experience is due to the password I have to enter, thus opening the lid and entering the password and pressing Enter and being able to use the Mac might take five seconds. My old iBook was three seconds faster than that, but I guess, that is just the advantage of a newer OS on Intel hardware.

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hmmm.. My HDD actually has FileVault2 turned on so I do have to enter my password every time it wakes from sleep, restart, etc. But, I just realized that if I don't use this disk as my "main" drive, decryption will never happen and I won't be able to access my files on that drive. I guess I'll have to format and then put the files back in. Unless, it's not necessary?

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't have any wake issues. This configuration is optimal I think. Especially since the SSD has no moving parts and won't really benefit from the SMS. Maybe it's MBP model specific?

8. simsaladimbamba

I don't know about the FileVault question, as I don't use it.
    And as to the SMS issue, I use 10.6.8 on a 2009 MBP with a Vertex 3 SSD and a Momentus 7200.4 HDD. Maybe it is the combination?
    I only have this config since 11/2011, but it hasn't crapped out on me.

9. Kenc1103 thread starter macrumors member

I got my OCZ Vertex 3 SSD put in the HDD bay today, it has been running ok so far. Now my question is the Vertex 3 came with firmware version 2.13 and I know 2.15 is the latest one, do I go ahead and upgrade to 2.15 or just leave it alone?

10. simsaladimbamba

Do you have any problems with it currently? I had to apply a fix on my Vertex 3, but that resolved the Link Speed issue it has with 2009 MBPs.

11. Kenc1103 thread starter macrumors member

I don't have any problem with it so far. Did you have to upgrade to firmware version 2.15 to get your Link Speed issue resolved?

12. simsaladimbamba

I don't really remember, but I have firmware 2.15 currently on it.

13. Kenc1103 thread starter macrumors member

How did you upgrade firmware to 2.15 with your Mac?

14. simsaladimbamba

15. Kenc1103 thread starter macrumors member

16. simsaladimbamba

I am not versed enough with SSDs to give any recommendations, I just did the update due to my issue. Otherwise I would have left it as it is, as my Vertex 2 in my iMac is still at the version I bought it with, though now they are at version +.23 or something.

Not for me, but a backup via CarbonCopyCloner is advisable, in case something does go wrong.