Late 2011 MBP Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sf_loureiro, Feb 22, 2017.

1. sf_loureiro macrumors newbie

sf_loureiro

Hey guys,

My MBP Late 2011 has the heat sensor from the logic board broken, and since this machine is now called "vintage", Apple do not provide any hardware officially.

My question are:
    1 - It is a good solution to seek for one logic board in the market to replace the broken one?
    2 - May be time to start looking for another solution?

Regards,
    Sérgio

2. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

For the logic board I would just be looking for a replacement all together. No need to mess around with that and cause other issues. And a late 2011 is kind of a dinosaur to invest in fixing. Good luck!

3. sf_loureiro thread starter macrumors newbie

sf_loureiro

So you mean a new machine? What mac notebook would you suggest?

Theres no safe logic boards on sale for a 2011 mac?

4. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

I am not sure if you can find a logic board for that model. Try eBay. But then you don't know what you're getting until its in and you boot up.

Yes, my opinion is just to get something new. Now I don't know if its in your budget of course. But if not search for the logic board and see if you can save it.

5. sf_loureiro thread starter macrumors newbie

sf_loureiro

Okey, thank you for your reply ;)

6. keysofanxiety, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

For the price of a used Logic Board, you could probably get a used Mid-2012 13" MBP. There were so, so many of them sold as they were only recently taken off the market, and the used price of them has plummeted as a result. In some cases they're even cheaper than the 13" 2011 model.

Same shell as yours, but with USB 3, a better CPU, a better GPU, and faster 1600MHz RAM supported. Plus it will likely be supported by Apple until 2020 (Apple's EOL runs from around 4-5 years from date last manufactured).

7. sf_loureiro thread starter macrumors newbie

sf_loureiro

That might be a good solution. Would you recommend eBay for a intensive search on Mid-2012 13' MBP? Or another retailer?

The Late-2011 13' MBP is a good machine, but no SSD...no USB 3. And I have been looking and a used Logic Board goes around 350$/400$. So probably don't worth spending so much money on a dinosaur.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

eBay should be fine; frequently there are larger resellers on there who sell them in bulk/refurb, so it's not all just private sellers. But of course private sellers with a decent rating should be fine too!

9. eldos1 macrumors newbie

The Computer Store (small shop-authorized Apple repairs) has some new old stock logic boards. They are not cheap. $750-ish from there "warehouse". 303-650-0699. Apple has shut down on any factory supply because they are now "vintage".

There are shops on the east/west coast who do board level repairs as another option.

10. MBPro17 macrumors newbie

Late-2011 is not vintage yet. You still have a few more months.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Even though it is no longer covered by the extended warranty Apple will still supply the part and do the repair for you.

11. sf_loureiro thread starter macrumors newbie

sf_loureiro

Thank you for your reply! However I have been in one Apple Authorized Service Provider here in Portugal and were they that told me that 13' Late-2012 were vintage. I guess I will return there and show them the page.