Late 2011 MBP Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fouracre44, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi guys quick question,

So I bought a 2011 refurb 15" mac book pro. Standard with 4gb ram. My questions to you are as follows:

How much is this capable of, within reason to the cpu. I thought that the sandy bridge in the mbp 15" was 16gb but it' be nice to be sure. I will probably put 12 gb in there, I'm looking at kingston memory.

2. Does it support 1600mhz ram, I am aware it comes with 1333 but I'd like to know what is the max it supports to?

Also some other ram that you guys have experience in, in regards to the MBP ( october 2011 ) model.

Really appreciate your time guys!

Thanks

2. Rockadile macrumors 6502

There's a bullet list of stickies up top maybe you should check that out...

3. Fouracre44 thread starter macrumors regular

Found it,

any experience with any third party ram options?

4. Rockadile macrumors 6502

"The most-recommended USA sellers on MacRumors are Data Memory Systems, OWC (MacSales) and Crucial (use the link at the top of the forum pages to help support MacRumors). Another popular memory vendor is Ramjet. The Kingston KTA-MBxxx/xG series are good too, Kingston do not guarantee Mac compatibility with their ValueRAM series. Big-box discounters Newegg, Frys are popular for bargain-seekers, but usually offer no guarantee of compatibility or support on their generic RAM, so the buyer is responsible for choosing and testing. Keep that in mind, but don't let it scare you away from good deals. Since Intel macs use pretty standard hardware, memory compatibility is not as big of an issue as it used to be. The chances of memory not working in your Mac are about the same as on a comparable PC."

Understanding Intel Mac RAM

5. Fouracre44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, like I said mate, I read it. Thanks again. I was asking for other users experience with Ram and what they found to be good value and good performing ram. This is after all a community.

Thankyou for posting though.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah, Kingston is a good choice. 1600 MHz does not improve the performance much. 1600 MHz is theoretically 20 percent faster. In RL, it is more in the range of 5-10 percent. Regarding the RAM Mhz support: 2100 MHz is the maximum for Sandy Bridge.

7. JohnRocks macrumors member

If you are thinking of ever using 8GB modules, you are better off just starting with them. Unless you can max out with 16GB via 2GB modules, if I ever need more than 16GB, I won't feel that bad about replacing MY ENTIRE RAM. For now, 16GB is more than enough - between putting my Aperture libraries on an SSD and the 16GB of RAM, Aperture FLIES on my Mac Pro.

8. Fouracre44 thread starter macrumors regular

That is good to know, cheers. Appreciate the response. As I said I was looking for other users opinion. Kingston always looked good. Where can I find / order them in Australia, that you know of, I'm having trouble finding it. Happy to order it from amazon if it will work on my mac.

There isn't enough space to max out my mac with 2 gb modules, I'm thinking of going with either 8 or 16 as I believe there is space for two dual channel modules. Depending on the pirce obviously.

Very informative post. Thanks man!