Late 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aliascognito, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Aliascognito macrumors member

Hi,
    I recently bought a new 13" 2.8GHz i7 MPB (£1299) to replace my 2007 iMac and I was wondering are there many known problems with them? .i.e. Bad hinges, faulty resolution etc?
    I know that it is a promiscuous question to ask as it may only affect a small amount of MBP's, but I just like to be prepared and able to look out for warning signs.

Also, it will be my first time using Lion and I heard that it was very buggy. Should I reinstall Snow Leopard or stay with Lion? If you say I should stay with Lion, can you please tell me any problems I may encounter?

Thanks,
    Alias

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

As far as hardware goes, I think the current MBP are the best. After so any years with the same design, Apple must have aced it and solved any design problem.

As for Lion, it's not perfect. From my experience, graphical glitches are common.

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

every laptop line has it's lemons; assume the best, deal with an issue IF there is one.

basically, lion is fine;and, as with every mac os, there will be periodic updates (with bug fixes and enhances). i don't think your new mac can (officially) support ANY older OS (i.e. snow leopard).

get you mac, set it up, go to work...

4. Aliascognito thread starter macrumors member

When you say graphical glitches, do you mean whilst watching videos? Gaming? Just casual use .i.e. Facebook, Word Processing?

5. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

If there is a problem it's probably software related, if it's hardware then you can still take it back to the Store and get it exchanged. There's only a handful of people that experience problems with the Lion OS, as for me none so far and i doubt there will be any. But i recommend for a top quality performance with your MBP i suggest getting your RAM upgrade since Lion DO use a little more memory.

GL and grats on your new MBP ;)

6. ahdickter macrumors 6502

For the average user, Lion works flawlessly. Only users who are using specialized apps or legacy apps do they run into problems.

7. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

The only problem I found was in using my Scanjet 4670 scanner, whose drivers apparently HP hasn't updated to support the unforeseen move to Intel processors. I for one will never buy another HP scanner, if Apple can't be bothered to tell them that they are now using Intel processors HP must be a pretty rinky-dink operation.

</sarcasm level=5>

8. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

No, mostly the animations. They seem sluggish and not very smooth.

If you had an iPhone with iOS 4, then you might have noticed similar animation problems when opening and closing apps. In Lion, sometimes when using Mission Control the animation is jumpy and sometimes it lags.

This is true. I notice it with Aperture 3, it has some problems that makes it slow at times. Very slow.

But yes, Lion is totally usable, and you will enjoy it. Things will just get better with the next updates.