late 2011 ram upgrade mbp 15in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeyMacs, Jan 21, 2012.

1. MikeyMacs macrumors newbie

my mbp comes with the 4gb of ram I'm looking to upgrade to 8gb but i was wondering which brand would be the best, or if anyone could supply a link to a good choice, 1333 ddr3. thanks

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I used Corsair in my early 2011 and it works just fine. Crucial is also good, and there's several others. As for where to buy, I didn't look up any specific links for you, but you can usually find good deals on Amazon or Newegg. Earlier this year there were a lot of places that had $10 rebates, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. I purchased mine from Amazon for around $30 after rebate.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

A forum search would've brought you thousands upon thousands of threads asking the very same thing.

Any RAM with the correct specs from a reputable company will work perfectly fine, RAM is RAM.

4. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

effect on warranty?

I have a 3yr applecare extended warranty on my mac, does upgrading the memory from 4 to 8 affect the warranty?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. If it did, the instructions on how to do it wouldn't be readily available in your user manual. The RAM and hard drive are both deemed user replaceable.

6. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I just got my Late08' upgraded to 8GB today for, $45 (Crucial*), name brand. And it went great with everything.:apple:

7. gadgetmonster macrumors regular

i bought the crucial 8gb upgrade with mine so i'll have to find a how to link and update it tonight.

8. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I watched a Youtube vid. and done it. It would've been another $30 to have MicroCenter install it. They did tell me to run a memory test on it afterwards from Apple Service Diagnosis or Memtest86+ to make sure RAM is good.

9. jon08 macrumors 65816

Crucial. I used it in my early 2008 MBP (667Mhz 2x2GB) and I use it now in my late-2011 MBP (1333Mhz 2x4GB).

I had Corsair 8GB first, but one of the modules was apparently faulty that's why I returned it and bought Crucial instead.