Late 2012 13 inch rMBP to 2015 MacBook. Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amnichols10, Apr 12, 2015.

1. amnichols10 macrumors regular

I have a 13 inch rMBP and was looking at the new MB. Here are my current specs

Don't do any "heavy task". The most would be coding "Xcode" and photo editing. Other than that I do basic everyday task.

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Are there anyone else in my current predicament? If anyone pulled the trigger, how do you like it?

2. iscajal macrumors member

I'm coming from a Retina MBP 15" 2012, basic edition.

I mostly do development work in IntelliJ IDEA, text editors; some IT stuff, running a Windows VM that doesn't do much, and some writing.

I've ordered the fully-specced 1.3 one, but seeing that I'm in Europe .. it'll be a while before I can provide actual feedback on how it turns out. :)

Fully aware that it's a steep performance downgrade, but considering the tradeoffs and things I get for it - can use it in more places, just grab it and go off, and so on - I'm willing to give it a go.

In the unlikely case that I'm not happy, it simply goes back. But from what I've seen w.r.t. performance numbers, it should do just fine.

3. Florals macrumors member

This is the exact situation I'm in, so I would be interested to hear some opinions.

4. USF813 macrumors regular

I'd say keep your money. For what it costs you could invest in a gym membership and a personal trainer for three-six months so that the weight of the pro isn't a deciding factor in downgrading.