Late 2012 (650m) or 2013 base?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Praxis91, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Hi all,

I am turning 30 next month, and I want to buy myself a nice gift, so I have been thinking about it for a while and I want a rMBP. Now, I've been a PC guy forever (big gamer), and I still have my monster gaming rig, but I have been doing more console gaming lately and less and less on PC, and I have been getting back into music recording.

I have Pro Tools and it runs okay on my PC, but I know it would run better on OS X. I also like the idea of having the MBP because of the nice battery life, and decent resale value. I also want to try something different and have the $ to spend. I figured if I want to sell it within a year (if I didn't like it for any reason, or if I wanted to upgrade) that I would not lose nearly as much as if I bought a Dell or Lenovo. Even if I had it longer than that, I see the 2011/2012 used models selling for a nice chunk of change overall.

I know many people install W7/W8 via bootcamp for gaming, and that's an option, but I honestly don't think I will do too much gaming. I don't mind having the option, but I love my Xbox for that anyway (plus my main PC still handles any game I throw at it).

With that being said, I am torn between buying the Late 2012 (8gb/256gb ssd/650m) 15" or the October 2013 15 base (iris). There was a deal yesterday for the 2013 base for $1700 but it sold out by the time I got home from work. :mad: I see it from $1900-2000 now, but I also see the late 2012 model for $1750...

I am sure the 2013 iris GPU will be more than enough for my minimal gaming needs, but I am curious if you feel that it is worth the extra $200 compared to the 2012 for $1750. The Haswell battery improvement will be nice, but I am trying to think of all the possible pros/cons with either choice.

I appreciate any advice. :)

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I would get the early-2013 (or late-2012 whatever) with the 650M if I needed CUDA. CUDA is a more programmer-friendly gpu framework than OpenCL, I guess, but CUDA only works with nVidia adapters.

Otherwise, the base-2013 has PCIe storage, which would be nice for multitrack audio producing. Looks like you need more of faster I/O than GPU programming, so I'd get the base late-2013.

3. leman macrumors 604

I'd go for Haswell. Faster storage is plus for music, and the CPU has some of hidden potential with the AVX2 instruction set - which again, could bring a healthy boost with future software upgrades.

4. Praxis91, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

Praxis91 thread starter macrumors regular

Praxis91

Thanks! I will try to be patient (maybe hope for some price drops in the next couple weeks), but I am a very impulsive shopper. However, I found out that I get somewhat of a discount through my employer (big software company that shall rename nameless) and it comes out to $1831 for base ($276 more to upgrade to 512gb) and $2400 for the 512/750m/16gb (damn you 7% sales tax!).

5. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Yes, go for the Haswell and get DG version if you can afford it!

6. Praxis91 thread starter macrumors regular

Praxis91

I went to an Apple store today (had a day off and it wasn't crowded for once!) and had a nice conversation with one of the employees. I am now not sure if I want the base model or 750m.. I can get that for just under $2400 with my work discount, but then I ask myself, "Do I get 3 years of Apple Care?"... that pushes it to $2700 and then sales tax is another $160-ish... I'm not sure if I want to take that kind of hit even though it's reasonable with 18 months of financing.

I figured base model + 512gb upgrade is another $300... but if I'm doing that might as well get the faster CPU and double RAM... I'll try not to impulse buy hehe

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

By the way, if you match the processor, RAM and SSD on both the Iris-only and GT750M models of the 15", they're both priced identically. So the GT750M is a free add-on once you match the processor, RAM and SSD.

8. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

You can still get the 15.4″ Haswell base model for $1,699 refurbished by Apple.

9. rex450se macrumors regular

I would say go with the dGPU version of the late 2013 model. If you don't end up like it and sell it, it will be have the highest resale value since it's the newest. And if you like it, it will last you a little longer before upgrading next time. And it is a great machine, well worth the investment.

Victor

10. Robster3, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

Robster3 macrumors 68000

I got a 15" 2.4 8gb 256gb last April, got a 10% discount and did 18 months interest free. For $600 more which is only $7 a week more i could of got the 16gb 512 model. Now i am running out of space. Go the big bugger is my tip:)
    I am thinking of getting a new one same deal 15% off 2 years interest free for the 15" 16gb 512gb this time. Will probably do $700 selling this one but not bad as i would of spent $600 more originally and i get a new one which will easily do me 2-3 years this time.
    ps. Best computer i have ever owned, including 2 x iMacs.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Except not everyone needs that dGPU. In fact I have found no instance where I need the dGPU. So if it were up to me, I'd get the top model without the 750M. The battery life on the integrated graphics is just better.

I would get the Late 2013 model because it's faster. The Iris Pro graphics is excellent.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you need the 512GB or the ram upgrade? I know it can add up rather quickly, but try to let the upgrade cause the price to creep up there.

You started the thread with the rMBP base model, now its moving up to the top tier MBP. I'd double check what you actually need vs, the nice to haves.

13. gametime10 macrumors regular

Like the previous poster said, the topic has moved to comparing the 2012 rMBP to a top tier 2013 rMBP. Of course, if money is not an issue, you go for the 2013. I'm still wondering about the base 2013 and how it would compare to a base 2012 rMBP. The discrete card in the 2012 would outperform the 2013 integrated, but are there advantages to the 2013 that I'm not considering?

14. macsForLife macrumors member

macsForLife

The battery life on the late 2013 will be nice, and of course you get Thunderbolt 2. The PCI-E SSD is nice too. Overall, I'd try to get a 2013 model if I was you.

15. Praxis91 thread starter macrumors regular

Praxis91

I think I would need the 512gb more than the RAM. My main PC has only a 128gb SSD (built it over 3 years ago), but I got in the habit of installing things on external except for games, though I don't play them that much any more.

It's funny you mention how I started the thread.. I was originally thinking about getting a very cheap laptop, or even a Chromebook (just to have something to browse around on when watching TV or whatever), but the primary objective was something with really REALLY great battery life. Then I figured, hey I got a big bday coming up and I want to buy myself something nice. :)

Then, I was going through "Okay, do I get 2012 or 2013 base..." but I kept upping myself.

I definitely don't need the top tier, but it seems like these things maintain their value well. I am definitely not going above 512gb for the SSD, but part of me wants that 750m.

#1stWorldProblems :D

16. JeffiJers, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Faster storage is a plus for music? lol

OP, early 2013 would be my vote. Not that it matters but I was in the same dilemma and chose the gt650.

17. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I'd say get the base 2013 version. It's quite powerful and the lack of a dgpu is a boon rather than a curse in many cases. Especially when you have dedicated gaming devices.

18. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat and decided to go the cheap route. I ended getting an used mid 2012 MBP 15" 2.7Ghz 16gb 750 SSD for 1250. Bottom is a little scratched up but I thought it was a steal and it comes with ACare until 9 '15.

19. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

That is a great deal.. wow.

Could always replace the bottom cover if it bothers you.

20. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I plan to get carbon fiber kit from iCarbons soon. Also starting to wonder if I really got a deal or not. There are three tiny chips on the screen I didn't notice when I was checking it out and the screen or video card does strange things. I'll post a video when I can. Kinda hard to describe but besides those defects it works very well.

Guess you get what you pay for. At least I have Apple Care and I probably will have to use it soon. Shame the previous owner didn't take more care of it. Spec wise this is top of the line 2012 model.

21. Praxis91, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

Praxis91 thread starter macrumors regular

Praxis91

I see the refurbed 750m option is $2200 (new one is $2390 with my discount).. does anyone know:

• Can you get the employer discount on refurb too?
    • Can you buy apple care within a year and have it apply then to 3 years from the date of initial purchase?
    • Do they allow 18 month financing on refurb?

I'm guessing I will probably buy the new one w/ my discount with 18 month financing, but I'd like the option of buying applecare independently a month or so after the big purchase.

I am looking into my company's BYOD policy because I can't stand the piece of junk Lenovo I have now hehe... hoping I could buy this new toy and use for work daily. I'd probably have to bootcamp or parallels to run Author IT (program I use for work daily as a tech writer).

22. leman macrumors 604

If you are mixing multiple tracks or working with real-time audio, you will obviously have a better, less laggy experience with faster storage. I don't do audio editing, but from what I've seen on these and other forums, audio professionals always prefer faster storage.

23. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

the rMBP flash storage of read/write 450mb+ will handle any audio editing members do here.

24. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I work for a college and only got EDU discount on some (low - mid range) models but no discount on the high end refurbs.

You have 1 year to buy apple care after your purchase. You can get better pricing if you do a Google search or even try eBay.

25. lorcharlie macrumors newbie

Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I'm kind of in the same boat as well.

I can get a used early 2013 15" rMBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for $1800 or spend another $1000 on a brand new late 2013 15" rMBP with 16GB and 512GB SSD. The only thing that really intrigues me is the PCI-E SSD and Intel Iris Pro... But to save $1000?

What do you guys think?