Late 2012 iMac 27" question?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MiniD3, Jul 25, 2015.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Guys,
    I have one of these but don't know if I have Thunderbolt 1 or 2?
    The reason I ask is I just purchased a new DSLR which has XQD cards and Lexar are producing a card reader hub which is Thunderbolt 2

If my Mac is only Thunderbolt 1, not sure how much slower the the USB 3 card reader would be?
    ......Gary

2. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

So where are you plugging in the camera card, the USB reader or via the thunderbolt port, which will be TB1 btw?
    Just how quickly do you need to download photos? :)

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Have been plugging the USB 3 (CF/SD) card reader into the USB slot,
    have ordered another card reader for the XQD card, which is USB 3

Tks for the heads-up, guess I wouldn't see much difference from USB3 to Thunderbolt ! ?
    ......Gary
    faster there better! :)

4. jerwin macrumors 65816

http://www.macworld.com/article/2083257/what-you-need-to-know-about-thunderbolt-2.html

Yes. Thunderbolt 2 uses the same connectors as the original Thunderbolt, so Thunderbolt 2 devices will be backwards compatible with Thunderbolt peripherals and vice versa. But a Thunderbolt device connected to a Thunderbolt 2 port will perform at the Thunderbolt speed of 10 Gbps.​

though the lexar thing sounds a bit strange, as if any one device can't communicate at higher speeds than usb 3.0.

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Tks for the heads-up on the Thunderbolt and the link, much appreciated!
    I agree about the strange bit and to include expensive as well
    One of my concerns was that the readers that plug into the hub are stand alone usb 3 devices and the usb device is plugging into the hub that connects to the mac with thunderbolt, just thought that usb 3 to Thunderbolt connection would slow?
    Anyways, not rushing in, usb 3 card reader for the XQD card reader coming soon

Most high end video cameras have gone for the new XQD card so will be interesting how the card reader market goes, for the professionals, I think a multi card reader will be helpful after a shoot
    .......Gary