Late 2012 iMac 27" Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Failurbydesign, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Failurbydesign macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

My late 2012 iMac has some weird screen burn in in the bottom corners, looks like smoke...weird. Since i bought the iMac less than a year ago its still under warranty and apple plans on replacing the screen. I have backed up the drive and installed a fresh 10.10.3 just to be safe. My only concern is if i should remove the extra ram i had installed, has anyone had issues with applecare and owner installed ram? The apple tech said they hope to be able to replace the screen within a few days, if not make sure to have a backup in case they replace the whole iMac. Thoughts?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I take out any user added parts before service. Always better to be safe.

Cheers,

3. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

That's what I figured. I need to get some static free bags time put them in.

Has anyone else had this issue with the screen? How often does apple just replace the whole computer for another one?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Not necessary if you take the machine to an Apple Store or AASP, installing third party RAM in no way influencing the warranty on any iMac that has user upgradeable RAM the does NOT require opening the machine to install it.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This is true, however, if I added it, it's coming out. Necessary or no, I just won't deal with even the slimmest possibility my upgrades will "disappear".

Even our local AASP suggests you do so if it's feasible. They don't want an issue where they do the repair and something doesn't work and they have to troubleshoot third-party hardware.

Of course as always "the choice is yours".

Cheers,

6. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

I removed the ram and put a fresh OSX install on. Take it in today at 5!