Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterLibrarian

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Hi there,
I was wondering whether my late 2012 iMac (with 680MX) will be capable of driving a 4K display.
If it doesn't I think it comes down to the thunderbolt (display port) throughput bottleneck and not to the GPU performance right?

I am currently looking for a second display for my iMac and I am holding back as the new generation of affordable 4k monitors are on their way...

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hi there,
I was wondering whether my late 2012 iMac (with 680MX) will be capable of driving a 4K display.
If it doesn't I think it comes down to the thunderbolt (display port) throughput bottleneck and not to the GPU performance right?....

You are correct about the TB bottleneck. To drive these new 4K displays you need TB2, as found in the latest generation MBPs, and then only at 30Hz, until Apple updates those TB drivers.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/23/new-r...hen-running-windows-mac-os-needs-new-drivers/

MasterLibrarian

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
So there is no hope for us! Not even with some firmware upgrade of any kind… Or a hack perhaps :D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.