Late 2012 iMac - Boot camp windows unable to see mac partition as a drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Leonavice, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Leonavice macrumors member

I wonder if there are people out there with the same problem as me.

I just got my iMac with Fusion 1Tb drive. I boot camp it into the windows and mac partition. When I am running windows, I cannot see my mac partition as a drive. However in OS X, I can see the boot camp partition.

I've ran the windows support drivers for Apple, and also downloaded the HFS+ apple drivers and ran it, but i still can't see the mac partition.

I've a 15" rMBP, which is also dual boot, and I can see my mac partition perfectly fine.

I wonder if it is because of the Fusion drive that I am seeing this problem, as when I did the bootcamp installation, the fusion drive actually appears as a seperate drive available to choose.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Windows is unable to access/read HFS+ drives so it won't be seen. There's third party products that cost $$ that allow this. AFAIK, apple does not provide anything to allow windows machines to read HFS+ so I'm not sure what you mean when stated you downloaded the HFS+ apple drivers

3. Leonavice thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answering, but my rMBP can see my mac partition in windows perfectly fine, without any extra stuff installed. Yes, i can't write into the mac partition, but at least I can still read from the partition into windows.

The drivers I'm referring to are these.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1368010

4. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Are you running Windows 8? I noticed the same thing since I installed Windows 8 on my iMac and wasn't sure if this was due to unsupported drivers, but when I had Windows 7 for a brief time before updating I could access those folders. So I'm going to assume Windows 8 is the culprit that eliminates my D drive to access the Mac partition. Hopefully Apple will release the new Windows 8 drivers soon in the 10.8.3 release.

5. Leonavice thread starter macrumors member

I'm running windows 7 64 bit home premium on both my imac and rMBP.

There are 2 things that I think might be responsible.

1) The boot camp windows support drivers are different between the imac and rMBP.

2) The fusion drive, due to the way it is set up, tries to hide itself and the mac partition from windows.

I was wondering if there are others who saw this problem in the new imacs with fusion drives.

6. tri-x macrumors newbie

Yeah it's believed to be a Windows 8 problem as the Boot Camp drivers were last updated for Windows 7. Other issues are the brightness indicators and other UI bits and pieces. Expect it to be fixed when OS X 10.8.3

7. Leonavice thread starter macrumors member

Well, if the drivers are updated for Windows 7, and I am using Windows 7, shouldn't it be ok for me?

8. tri-x macrumors newbie

Ah forgive my speed scanning and not detailed reading! I'd say it is a fusion drive issue. Something in there does not compute. I hope 10.8.3 will solve our problems.

9. sfletcher macrumors newbie

Interestingly enough, my 1 week old iMac 27 also did not display the internal Mac drive under windows 7 with bootcamp. Just yesterday I replaced that iMac with an identical model because of screen yellow tint issue. I set up the replacement model with bootcamp and Windows 7 can see the internal Mac drive without issue. Of course I cannot write to it from Windows though.

Here are the known differences in the 2 installs:
    1. My Bootcamp partition was 99 Gigs on the first install and about 120Gigs on the 2nd install.
    2. On the first install, I forgot to unpackage my bootcamp windows drivers so I did not install them until a couple of re-boots later once I unpacked them in OS-X and re-wrote them to a usb stick. On the 2nd install, the windows drivers were unpacked and the usb stick was in the usb port during the install.

10. Leonavice thread starter macrumors member

In both instances you ran the setup.exe under the folder windowssupport?

11. jpmorais macrumors member

fusion drive limitation!

its a limitation of fusion drive, windows cant mount the fusion drive like OSX Can. i dont think we ever gonna be able to fix that.

12. mr666 macrumors regular

You might want to restate this. Obviously Windows is mounting the dive. Windows is on the drive!

13. wmy5 macrumors regular

"Fusion Drive" is a logic volume bundle, not an actual drive. Windows can mount ordinary HFS volume in read-only mode, but logic volume bundle is OS X only.