Late 2012 imac bootcamp error"Non system disk, press any key to reboot"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by schrobro08, Mar 26, 2013.

1. schrobro08 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm having all sorts of issues with getting windows 7 installed through bootcamp. I have the late 2012 imac 27 inch fusion i7 16 gigs of ram 680gtx.

1. downloaded the latest bootcamp drivers to my usb after i re-formated it. 2. Partitioned the drive 200 gig windows 700 gigs mac.
    3. It restarts and then i get this error screen, "non-system disk.(see photo below) Press any key to reboot." which of course is unresponsive.
    4. I hard reset with the Option held into boot back into mac. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. Please, any help would be appreciated. I have a unopened copy of Bioshock Infinite waiting for me

Attached Files:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It seems to me you forget something, you need to get the Windows ISO on the USB first to install windows before installing the drivers, you can also use a DVD.
    Or, am I wrong?

3. schrobro08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows 7 on disk

I do have windows 7 on a disk. Purchased it off amazon. Brand new install disk. I don't understand why it is giving me this error. I've followed every tutorial step by step.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do you have any App like Toast Titanium to safe the disk as ISO, if so do so, then afterwards you can use Disk Utility to make a bootable USB by restoring it to the USB.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

6. schrobro08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Updated: Working

I finally got it working after much confusion, troubleshooting, and days of headache. The solution was actually really simple and looking back now I feel dumb. All i had to do was take out the USB that i put the drivers on. I for some reason left the usb plugged in the back of my computer while trying to install windows 7. That confused the computer and brought up that error. Right as i took the USB out the computer restarted in windows and installed. FYI: I did use the apple usb superdrive with a windows 7 dvd so you don't need to make an ISO. Thanks for the responses and hope this helps anyone in my situation.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You feel a bit :eek:

Glad it's solved.

8. Stv1962 macrumors newbie

Your simple solution was EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you. You saved me an enormous hassle.

9. Souls macrumors newbie

Same here. This was exactly my problem as well! Thanks a lot.

10. Suvad macrumors newbie

Mr

Hi, I also get the same message (Non-System Disk, Press any key to reboot)
    But my problem is a bit different.
    I was successful in partitioning my mac so as to load Windows 7.
    All this was achieved with success and I entered into Windows Operating System several times on my Mac.
    A couple of weeks later, I attempted to again get into Windows but this time the above message appeared. I have no idea how to fix it. Can someone help.