Late 2012 iMac buzzing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SOLLERBOY, Oct 22, 2014.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hey, a couple of days ago I upgraded the ram in my iMac and didi a clean install of Yosemite. Ever since, there has been a strange noise coming from it. It is not randomised and sounds almost like dial up internet but there is a strict pattern. it goes buzz buzz buzz and then beep beep beep, it almost sounds like there is a cricket inside it or something, it is slightly louder than the fan and I'm pretty sure its not the HDD.

Does anyone have any ideas? The RAM was crucial and took it to 16gb, I added another 2x4gb sticks.

EDIT: I put 900gb through it after the clean install, I though maybe that had over stressed it, I've just checked activity monitor because istat menus is showing the hard drive being written to, turns out file vault still hasn't finished. I think the noise is/could be coming from the SSD part of the fusion drive?

2. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Hate to say it but that sounds like the power supply on it's way out.

3. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Yes, if it has a microphone feedback quality to it (electrical buzz), I would guess power supply. I just replaced one on a 27" display that was doing the same thing. Cost about $100 at the Apple Store Genius Bar.

4. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, It's never been heavily used, that's the annoying thing. I guess the stress on it from the clean install was too much for it. I just had about 5 years of rubbish from old apps and stuff on it that I wanted to get rid of.

It sounds like the noise is coming from around the centre of the screen and a smaller, more high pitched one from the bottom right of the machine (bottom left when looking at it). Come to think of it, its always had a strange noise at boot up from new. I always assumed it has the hard drive, it only lasted a few seconds. Luckily I have applecare, unluckily they broke my 2009 iMac when I took it in for the HDD recall.

5. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

As you have Applecare just get them to take care of it, that's what you're paying for after all. :D

While they have the machine cracked open I'd also suggest to them to give it a good clean inside to clear out any fluff and dust that will have built up over the years.