Late-2012 iMac Freezing/Beach Balling With

Discussion in 'iMac' started by =w=, Dec 10, 2013.

1. =w= macrumors 6502a

=w=

I've got a late-2012 iMac and I use a LaCie Rugged SSD Thunderbolt as my boot drive.

I have been experiencing beach balls on simple things like switching between Firefox and iTunes on screen or even when a web page is loading. The mouse basically stops working for a moment and I can't click.

I was wondering if there's a way for me to be able to tell if maybe there is some problem with the connection between the SSD and the iMac or if it's a problem with my iMac in general?

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

It could be so many things. I take it you've gone through the usual disk checks via Disk Utility etc?

Try firing up activity monitor too and see if you can watch what causes the lag spikes.

3. =w= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=w=

Well, I was first trying to find out if the problem was using an external drive as a boot drive.

If it is, I can just go back to using my internal HDD as my boot drive.

I'm taking it in to Apple soon due to some problems with the LED screen, so maybe I can get them to look at it then. I have AppleCare on it.

4. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Hey there Wonder Woman!
    Well I was just about to buy a low capacity one since Apple sells them,
    but should I be having second thoughts :O

If you can go back to your internal HDD, does that mean the external one is a clone?
    That is what I'm trying to achieve... an upgrade from a USB 2.0 dock that is
    a little slow, but not having problems like this.

Since it's an iMac in your case, do you ever actually reboot it, or just standby?
    It took me several months of what you describe before I figured out I could
    actually reboot the thing properly!