late 2012 iMac graphic issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BJB Productions, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi all,
    We have a 27" iMac that is having some severe graphic issues. I've attached some photos to explain the problem.

We mainly use this machine to edit in Adobe Premiere CC and for use with other Adobe products. Our issue is that periodically (maybe ~8 times a day) the machine will either:
    a) start showing distorted graphics
    b) freeze completely and require a hard boot.

I brought it to the Apple store and they ran hardware tests and no problems were found. I also have reinstalled the OS. Even right now as I'm typing this there's some blocks of white that are stuck on the screen. (Image attached)

Any thoughts on this? Specs shown below as well.

Attached Files:

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Looks GPU-related. The only thing you can try is put back in just the original RAM (assuming you added your own later). See if it makes any difference. Probably not, but worth a try since it only takes 60 seconds.

3. DianeK macrumors regular

Sure looks GPU related. Did you show them your screen shots at the store? Do you have a reseller with a service department? My experience with Apple store service has not been great in the past. My local dealer has been waaay more helpful with trouble shooting.

4. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Confirmed that it was indeed the GPU. Did a test opening my Premiere file using Mercury Playback Engine Software only vs GPU Accelerated and have had zero issues (besides editing being slower)

So swapping it out later today.