Late 2012 iMac Shutting Down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bembol, Oct 1, 2016.

1. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

It happened a month or two ago, it just SHUT DOWN without any warning. I thought the display just went to sleep but that wasn't the case. I was able to restart it.

I contacted Apple and was given a link to resetting the SMC, PRAM, etc. I tried all of them but none seemed to work. I even ask Apple Store for a new Power Cord, being desperate.

Genius Bar wants me to leave it with them for a few days to see if they can figure it out. I was told not to RESTORE my iMac but then I'm concerned my files may be copied.

I pretty much use my iMac like I use my iPhone. It's amazing I/we don't have the luck every iMac we purchased seemed to go down after 4 years.

Anyone else experience something like this, if so am I looking to spend a lot?

Even before posting this half hour ago it happened again, I have to unplug it for a few minutes for it to power back on.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

How hot does the iMac get when it shuts down? Download a temp application that will allow you to see the temps in the computer. It could be overheating which could case it to shutdown. If it were me I would let Apple analyze the reason for the shutdown.