Late 2012 iMac Shutting Down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bembol, Oct 1, 2016.

1. bembol macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2006
    It happened a month or two ago, it just SHUT DOWN without any warning. I thought the display just went to sleep but that wasn't the case. I was able to restart it.

I contacted Apple and was given a link to resetting the SMC, PRAM, etc. I tried all of them but none seemed to work. I even ask Apple Store for a new Power Cord, being desperate.

Genius Bar wants me to leave it with them for a few days to see if they can figure it out. I was told not to RESTORE my iMac but then I'm concerned my files may be copied.

I pretty much use my iMac like I use my iPhone. It's amazing I/we don't have the luck every iMac we purchased seemed to go down after 4 years.

Anyone else experience something like this, if so am I looking to spend a lot?

Even before posting this half hour ago it happened again, I have to unplug it for a few minutes for it to power back on.

Thanks in advanced.
  2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Mar 10, 2011
    How hot does the iMac get when it shuts down? Download a temp application that will allow you to see the temps in the computer. It could be overheating which could case it to shutdown. If it were me I would let Apple analyze the reason for the shutdown.