Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Why Apple, why. Why do you have to be so unspeakably frustrating.

Is there a way for me to TDM a PC into my late 2012 iMac? Is there some adapter or even software tweak available?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This article may have some info you can use. http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/ins-outs-imacs-target-display-mode/

Here's the thing - your iMac has a Thunderbolt port. Does the PC also have a Thunderbolt port, or MiniDisplayPort? That's key to the incompatibility.

"Why, Apple?" Are you questioning why they moved to Thunderbolt, which is a port with a whole lot more capabilities than MiniDisplayPort? Should they have stuck with MiniDisplayPort just for the sake of TDM? Should they have continued with separate ports for data and displays (and the separate controllers to go along with them)? Still, I don't know why this is "unspeakably frustrating." There are pros and cons to nearly every design decision, and I've yet to see any computer that combines every feature and capability that exist. Generally, little-used features are going to get pared away in favor of more broadly useful features. This particular capability was "universal" on iMacs for just three years, in the entire history of iMac. For two years prior to that, it was possible only on the 27" iMacs. Before that, nada. After that, nada. A brief window that was nice while it lasted.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This article may have some info you can use. http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/ins-outs-imacs-target-display-mode/

Here's the thing - your iMac has a Thunderbolt port. Does the PC also have a Thunderbolt port, or MiniDisplayPort? That's key to the incompatibility.

"Why, Apple?" Are you questioning why they moved to Thunderbolt, which is a port with a whole lot more capabilities than MiniDisplayPort? Should they have stuck with MiniDisplayPort just for the sake of TDM? Should they have continued with separate ports for data and displays (and the separate controllers to go along with them)? Still, I don't know why this is "unspeakably frustrating." There are pros and cons to nearly every design decision, and I've yet to see any computer that combines every feature and capability that exist. Generally, little-used features are going to get pared away in favor of more broadly useful features. This particular capability was "universal" on iMacs for just three years, in the entire history of iMac. For two years prior to that, it was possible only on the 27" iMacs. Before that, nada. After that, nada. A brief window that was nice while it lasted.
I think he's questioning why they didn't allow the Thunderbolt port to accept a simple Mini DisplayPort signal. I don't see why this shouldn't be possible, as it can output one just fine.

But I agree Target Display Mode is not a feature of importance to Apple. None of the Retina iMacs are even capable of it, although it could be argued for technical reasons. I have done just fine without it on my 5K.

However, Target Display Mode remains a niche but useful feature on the iMacs that support it. My mid 2010 27" is the last generation iMac with Mini DisplayPort, and I use it occasionally with my GPU-upgraded 2006 Mac Pro, which wouldn't work at all if the iMac required Thunderbolt.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I think he's questioning why they didn't allow the Thunderbolt port to accept a simple Mini DisplayPort signal. I don't see why this shouldn't be possible, as it can output one just fine.

But I agree Target Display Mode is not a feature of importance to Apple. None of the Retina iMacs are even capable of it, although it could be argued for technical reasons. I have done just fine without it on my 5K.

However, Target Display Mode remains a niche but useful feature on the iMacs that support it. My mid 2010 27" is the last generation iMac with Mini DisplayPort, and I use it occasionally with my GPU-upgraded 2006 Mac Pro, which wouldn't work at all if the iMac required Thunderbolt.

That's exactly right. I see no reason it shouldn't accept a display port signal, even the 5k iMacs.

The reason is simple, once the internal hardware becomes obsolete the computer should keep going as a display. It's not a niche feature, it's a logical, useful, and some might say essential feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.