Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Hi all

I have a 27" new model iMac with the wired keyboard that's being a bit odd when my 4s is plugged into the USB port on the keyboard.

The machine will often flash up a warning dialogue saying a USB device has drawn too much power, and that the USB ports have been disabled. Sometimes the message will flash up 4 times at once :(

If I unplug the phone and reconnect it again straight away the USB works correctly. Plugging in my iPad or a cf card reader to the same port doesn't give the message so I don't know what to think.

Anyone else had random USB issues on new iMac ?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
That wired keyboard is USB 2.0, and the keyboard itself draws power, too. Try plugging your devices into the USB 3.0 ports in the back of the computer or get a USB 3.0 powered Hub.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
That's the strange thing, my 2008 imac had the same keyboard and the same phone plugged in and I never got the message :confused:

A powered usb hub might be the way to go

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
No, it's the standard white USB to 30pin iPhone cable that came with the phone.

I've plugged the 3, 3GS and my iPads into the keyboard before on my old iMac and not had the warnings, and even when I plug my iPad 3 into the keyboard on this iMac I don't get a warning. Ok it doesn't charge the iPad but it still communicates with iTunes ok.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
digitalfailure: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doc: Don't do that.

Okay, seriously, you have apparently discovered an idiosyncrasy in the new iMac. It is USB 3.0, unlike the previous (earlier) USB 2.0 macs.

Just don't plug USB devices that impose a current draw into your wired kb. ;)

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
But that's not right!

My understanding is that the first device plugged in sets the USB level, so a USB 2.0 keyboard brings all the USB ports down to USB 2.0

USB 2 will charge an iPhone, so it shouldn't be having issues. If the USB was staying at 3.0 , there should be an even greater current supplied so even less chance of the issue.

It's also totally random and intermittent, which wouldn't be the case if it was a genuine over current situation as that would be repeatable on demand.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
But that's not right!

My understanding is that the first device plugged in sets the USB level, so a USB 2.0 keyboard brings all the USB ports down to USB 2.0

USB 2 will charge an iPhone, so it shouldn't be having issues. If the USB was staying at 3.0 , there should be an even greater current supplied so even less chance of the issue.

It's also totally random and intermittent, which wouldn't be the case if it was a genuine over current situation as that would be repeatable on demand.

I agree with you there. Have you tried a different iPhone cable? Just trying to rule things out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.