Late 2012 iMac vs rMBP Geekbench

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snapdragonx, Jun 19, 2013.

1. snapdragonx macrumors regular

I've been thinking about upgrading from my 15" rMPB to the current 27" iMac. My reasoning is mainly because I need better performance for video editing and rendering.

But I've noticed that the iMac with the i7 3770 CPU only scores about 400 points more in Geekbench than the rMPB.

Does this mean I'm not really going to see any performance difference between the two? I'm starting to think a Mac Pro or custom built Windows machine might be better options for maximum performance.

Thanks for any info! :)

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Honestly, all the current line of rMBPs and iMacs are fast. You won't see any tangible difference between them. Where you'll see the biggest difference is in the GPU. The GTX 680MX is quite the card. If you're a gamer, it's a huge difference in frame-rates between the rMBP and the high-end iMac.

3. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not really a gamer. Video editing is what I use my computer for mainly.

So no point trading in the rMBP for the iMac? The new Mac Pro looks interesting but I don't really want to wait until it comes out.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Unless you need the bigger display and don't want a Thunderbolt display (older non-laminated tech), no. If you're not gaming, I don't see that you'd get much out of the GTX 680MX, even with the extra video memory.

5. leman macrumors 604

Don't look at Geekbench, look at real-world performance benchmarks of types of applications you are going to use. In few words: the theoretical performance is not that different between the two, but because of the thermal constraints, the mobile CPU won't be able to turbo-clock as often as the desktop one in the iMac. So overall, the iMac will be faster. Are you going to see a difference? Probably not, but it really depends on what you do. Maybe it will shave you a second or two on a 1 minute operation :)

6. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I thought iMacs have mobile CPUs as well?

7. leman macrumors 604

No, they use desktop CPUs.

8. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Since when? They used Merom when Conroe was around as the desktop equivalent. When did it change?

9. snapdragonx thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure when it changed, but the current iMac uses the i7 3770, which is a desktop CPU.

Anyway, thanks for advice all :)

10. leman macrumors 604

With the unibody iMac in 2009 :)

11. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Did they used to use desktop GPUs like the x600xTx in iMac G5s?