Late 2012 iMac vs rMBP Geekbench

snapdragonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I've been thinking about upgrading from my 15" rMPB to the current 27" iMac. My reasoning is mainly because I need better performance for video editing and rendering.

But I've noticed that the iMac with the i7 3770 CPU only scores about 400 points more in Geekbench than the rMPB.

Does this mean I'm not really going to see any performance difference between the two? I'm starting to think a Mac Pro or custom built Windows machine might be better options for maximum performance.

Thanks for any info! :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've been thinking about upgrading from my 15" rMPB to the current 27" iMac. My reasoning is mainly because I need better performance for video editing and rendering.

But I've noticed that the iMac with the i7 3770 CPU only scores about 400 points more in Geekbench than the rMPB.

Does this mean I'm not really going to see any performance difference between the two? I'm starting to think a Mac Pro or custom built Windows machine might be better options for maximum performance.

Thanks for any info! :)
Honestly, all the current line of rMBPs and iMacs are fast. You won't see any tangible difference between them. Where you'll see the biggest difference is in the GPU. The GTX 680MX is quite the card. If you're a gamer, it's a huge difference in frame-rates between the rMBP and the high-end iMac.

snapdragonx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Honestly, all the current line of rMBPs and iMacs are fast. You won't see any tangible difference between them. Where you'll see the biggest difference is in the GPU. The GTX 680MX is quite the card. If you're a gamer, it's a huge difference in frame-rates between the rMBP and the high-end iMac.
I'm not really a gamer. Video editing is what I use my computer for mainly.

So no point trading in the rMBP for the iMac? The new Mac Pro looks interesting but I don't really want to wait until it comes out.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm not really a gamer. Video editing is what I use my computer for mainly.

So no point trading in the rMBP for the iMac? The new Mac Pro looks interesting but I don't really want to wait until it comes out.
Unless you need the bigger display and don't want a Thunderbolt display (older non-laminated tech), no. If you're not gaming, I don't see that you'd get much out of the GTX 680MX, even with the extra video memory.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Don't look at Geekbench, look at real-world performance benchmarks of types of applications you are going to use. In few words: the theoretical performance is not that different between the two, but because of the thermal constraints, the mobile CPU won't be able to turbo-clock as often as the desktop one in the iMac. So overall, the iMac will be faster. Are you going to see a difference? Probably not, but it really depends on what you do. Maybe it will shave you a second or two on a 1 minute operation :)

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
Don't look at Geekbench, look at real-world performance benchmarks of types of applications you are going to use. In few words: the theoretical performance is not that different between the two, but because of the thermal constraints, the mobile CPU won't be able to turbo-clock as often as the desktop one in the iMac. So overall, the iMac will be faster. Are you going to see a difference? Probably not, but it really depends on what you do. Maybe it will shave you a second or two on a 1 minute operation :)
I thought iMacs have mobile CPUs as well?