Late 2012 Imac27" bootcamp nvidia driver problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nomorelogic, Oct 6, 2013.

1. nomorelogic macrumors newbie

so i have a late 2012 slim imac with the 27 inch screen and a nvidia 680mx card in,

when i update the graphics driver on windows 8 it installs ok, but thinks there are two displays when finished, and the screen is extended onto screen 2 but when i restart it will not boot, windows boots but then the screen is black but lit and then the screen changes brightness and then restarts, the mac statup noise is really tinny then and it will fail to boot again, when i restart once more the startup sound is back to its normal boom but then goes into windows 8 recovery options as it failed three times.

any help would be brilliant

2. nomorelogic thread starter macrumors newbie

still need help

still having this problem, I've seen there has been 700 views but no replies :/ don't know what this means...

I have tried a complete reformat of the mac, including osx and windows, done a complete to brand new setup I even tried installing the latest NVidia drivers before any other driver had been installed on my windows but it still crashed and would not restart, will I have to have these drivers for ever ? what is happening ???

3. Granaten macrumors newbie

Well I've been scratching my head about this problem for about a week.
    The black screen is probably because youre running in EFI-mode. Late-2012 imacs does not support any vga drivers in EFI-mode.

Try installing with normal GTP/MBR partition table, and dont select EFI-mode on the startup screen. This allowed me to install an external ssd with the newest Nvidia driver.

http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.no/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I think you should do this:
    Post-Windows installation on Boot Camp, install the Boot Camp 5.0.5033 drivers from Apple before you install anything else. After that, restart and then install the NVIDIA drivers from NVIDIA.

5. nomorelogic thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, doesn't make a difference installed their drivers properly and it didn't work, did it from scratch and it didn't work

----------

How do I boot into mbr then ? Are you also having this issue? I swear it worked up until a point before but since I reinstalled windows using the exact same way I cannot upgrade anything past the stock apple ones ! ???

6. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Wait so when I get my new iMac I cannot install latest nividia drivers without doing the other partition trick?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I did not have these problems on my Haswell 21.5" and 27" though (GT750M and GTX780M respectively).

Also no problems in installing the drivers direct from NVIDIA.

8. nomorelogic thread starter macrumors newbie

No you guys have the new late 2013 iMac, I have the late 2012 one with the 680mx cards in, they fixed the 3tb issue in March, so you don't need to do the workaround