Late 2012 Image Retention

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMcLovin, Oct 20, 2014.

1. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I have a late 2012 27" imac. I suddenly noticed it started showing image retention. Its a very slightly hint of a blue shapes from high contrast windows thats been visible earlier. It usually disappear after 10-15 mins, but its nonetheless annoying. Some tiimes its not there. I have ordered a Retina iMac, so its mostly because of re-sell value I worry about this. I have no clue if it has been there all the time, I would assume I would have noticed.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Where is the limit before Apple replaces the screen? I have Applecare which still has 1+ year of warranty. But they would have to do some serious testing for it to appear, because it doesn't always show up.

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm in the same boat, here. 2 years with no IR on my late 2012 iMac, and then in the last few weeks mine has started showing it on the bottom right area of my screen.

If it's not too bothersome, deal with it till further on down the road, and then get it repaired under AppleCare before you sell it. If you've ordered an iMac 5K, get that set up, then just get the 2012 iMac panel replaced before you sell it.

3. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Thanks. yeah, its not annoying yet, its only visible in dark grey areas some times....but I feel I cannot sell it without telling the buyer, so Im pretty sure it will degrade the value a lot. So, Im curious if apple will use excuses and not take it for repair or if they actually repair such "minor" errors. It is for a machine that cost 4.000 usd when I bought an issue you cannot accept. How easy is apple on these things, do you know ?

cheers

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

If you demonstrate the issue, - I doubt it will be a problem to have the panel replaced by them. A skilled tech can replace the screen in under half an hour (easily), so it's not a time-consuming process.

For photography this drives me a bit insane, since I see the IR in Lightroom 5 easily.

You paid for AppleCare, so don't be afraid to use it.

5. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

ok :) thanks. sadly I live in norway, so they dont replace it on the spot...it will be sent in. but Ill definately demand it, thanks...its quite annoying especially with dark images

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Luckily for you you can just wait till you have your new iMac, so it won't be an inconvenience to send in the old one after the new one is set up.

That's why I always recommend everyone buy a backup 5K iMac, so in case one goes wrong you have a second lying around. :D

7. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

hehe, good point! :D

8. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Btw, have you tried this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807 ?
    I dont know if its a silly excuse by apple and it just removed the current persistent image or if this solution sort of do a screen cleaning ? Im gonna try but it sounds like a way of getting the current retention removed but it will probably pop up again the next time I have a high contrast image on the screen for a long time.

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

I'm not sure it will do much, but you can certainly try it. :)

10. miabadboys macrumors member

miabadboys

11. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I can assure you it doesn't work :) Yes it cleaned the retention I had, but when you get retention every 10 min or so if screen doesnt change, it has no purpose. I just hope Ill be able to show the apple store my problem and that the rep will do a thorough test, I've never returned anything through applecare, but this time will show if its worth it or not.

this is how my retention is btw, just taken with an iPhone, so pretty obvious:
    [​IMG]

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

That's way worse IR than I have. Be sure to get that panel replaced when you get your new iMac.

13. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Ok glad to hear im not over reacting. Just hope Ill convince the store, since it doesnt REALLY show before I've been working on it a few hours. Time will tell :)

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

Don't be shy. Be ready to show them pictures, too.

15. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Is this a common problem with just late 2012's or 2013's also? I'll be upgrading soon and was thinking about getting a late 2012 leftover or the 2013 with the iris pro.

16. AlphaMF macrumors regular

Hey iMcLovin!

Just wanted to say Hi.

I remember when we were waiting for the 2012 iMac refresh, I spent months on end on the forums. And when they came out, the launch (in DK) was too late for me to get it for my job. So I settled with a non retina MBP that I upgraded manually with SSD.

Its been doing awesome, but now I, like yourself, just ordered the riMac m295x. Hot diggity damn.

Are you as excited as I am :)?

17. Arron924 macrumors newbie

After having my late 2012 replaced 2 times apple issued me with a 2013 model which does exactly the same, I am thinking I will get it serviced further down the road. Do you think these LG LCD panels will ever be retention free? :(