Late 2012 Mac issue prevents re-installing OS X or restoring from Time Machine

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Relznuk, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Relznuk, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Not seeing the issue. This is how it always is when a new system comes out. Reinstallation is done from the Recovery/Internet on boot-up. When 10.8.3 comes out you'll be able to download that version from the App Store and reinstall that version from a burned DVD etc since it will include the drivers etc for the 2012 iMacs. I've reinstalled ML with no trouble on my 2012 iMac.

3. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

So having to jump through hoops to even reinstall through Recovery and being unable to restore via Time Machine is normal? I don't think so.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

I can't speak for the issues you personally had, but I personally haven't experienced them when it came to reinstalling OS X 10.8.2. on my 2012 iMac. I haven't tried a Time Machine restore, but I suspect it would work just fine, too.

Maybe more people with have info, but as of right now I guess I don't see this widespread issue? Surely we'd have more people complaining? Or maybe I'm just missing something? (I AM getting a little old, after all. :) )

5. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

It's a fair point - but the Time Machine stuff is widespread. I confirmed it on a number of machines. Perhaps not many people have needed to restore from Time Machine on their late 2012 machines yet.

6. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

A TM restore is exactly how I plan to move my current 2009 system over to my new machine when I order it, so I really hope it isn't a widespread problem!

7. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

If this is a problem maybe Apple will release a patch so reinstalling is smooth.

8. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Well, they've had three months so far. Most people getting new machines will need said machines to be up and running like their old systems upon the day of delivery. We won't have the luxury of waiting until Apple eventually makes a time machine restore possible.

Has anyone here been able to set up their 2012 iMacs via Time Machine restore or is this a problem across the board?

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

10. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Looks like we're trolling the same topics!

I haven't had any issues reinstalling ML on the first three 2012 27" iMacs I had through internet recovery. I run my OS from an external SSD, so I've just been using Disk Utility to clone the drive and then have that user info migrated to the new system. No issues with that process, but I never tried doing it from a backup yet.