Late 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3 GHz/16GB RAM/1TB HDD for $550. Is it an alright deal?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by testudoaubreii, Oct 27, 2018.

  1. testudoaubreii macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2014
    Hello. I am in need of a Mac device for work and school. I had a deal that went south for a MacBook Pro, so I went searching and found a Late 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3 GHz/16GB RAM/1TB, w/ Mohave installed for $550.

    It will be for web design and a bit of voice over/audio work (mostly GarageBand), and some media consumption/web surfing. I am hoping it will last a few years down the road, until I can save up to buy something newer.

    I know there is an event coming up soon, but even if the newer/refreshed models are just $20 more, I still wouldn’t be able to get one. I am but a lowly student and a disabled vet on a fixed income.

    Is this a good deal? Is it still relevant by today’s standards for what I listed?

    Thank you in advance for your response and advice!
  2. redheeler macrumors 604


    Oct 17, 2014
    If Apple does release a new Mac mini at the event, expect the prices of older models like the 2012 quad-core to drop some more over the next few weeks. $550 isn't a terrible deal right now, but I'd probably wait.

    The other concern is the 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD. Look for one with an SSD, as this makes a big difference with boot times and overall system performance.
  3. Count Blah, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018

    Count Blah macrumors 68040

    Count Blah

    Jan 6, 2004
    US of A
    my Only concern would be MacOS support. It’s likely to end in the next year or two. So if you look at it as a two year computer, are you OK with that price?

    You can also get a USB 3 enclosure, put in an ssd, and use THAT as the boot drive, down the road as well. With prices dropping, you are looking at a total of $50 to get a 256Gig external booting ssd, whenever you can get funds together. That can also be used with a future system as well.

    Either way, I’d suggest waiting until Wednesday, to see ALL available options.

    Good luck!
  4. testudoaubreii thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2014
    Thank you!
  5. Boyd01 macrumors 601


    Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    I have the slightly faster 2.6 ghz version of this machine, but mine is SSD-based. It's a pretty nice machine, the geekbench score is still respectable, but the graphics chip is the weak part. I use mine for Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro and they run well on it.

    I suspect it will be fine for what you describe, and that price sounds reasonable.... but, I agree with the others that you should wait another week. These quad core Mini's have been in high demand and fetched high prices ever since 2014 (because they are faster than the best 2014 mini). However, that could all change next week, and if there are some fast new Minis then there might be a bunch of 2012 quads going up for sale.

    But if, for some reason, you have to buy this right now then I suppose it's a decent deal (assuming it's in good shape).
  6. tpivette89 macrumors 6502


    Jan 1, 2018
    Newark, DE
    I don't know... $550 seems a bit steep. There's a local (to me) craigslist ad for a 2012 2.3ghz quad core mini with a wireless keyboard and trackpad (1st gen) that's been asking for $400 (at this point would probably take less) for over a month with no takers. Unit has even been upgraded to 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD.

    I would have made an offer any now, but the upcoming possibility of new Minis in a few days has me holding off.
  7. redheeler macrumors 604


    Oct 17, 2014
    I expect the 2012 Macs to get MacOS 10.15 next year. 10.16 is anyone's guess, but there will likely be workarounds for running it unsupported if necessary.

Share This Page

6 October 27, 2018