Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yanwoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Hi,

Have a curious problem where my mac mini won't restart - but boots fine when turned off and on again.

I've recently encrypted my hard drive and it seemed to happen after installing the latest updates (but that could just be because it's the first time I've done a restart since the encryption).

It does the boot noise and then nothing - a blank screen. I've tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM and booting into safe mode, running disk utility etc. but nothing seems to fix it.

It's not a major problem since I really only need to reboot when installing upgrades but my concern would be it's indicative of a wider problem.

Have a genius appointment next week but was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar?

Mini is a late 2012 2.6ghz i7 with SSD.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Darn, haven't seen that one before, definitely strange. Please do let us know what you learn. And good luck.

soundcapsule

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Mac Mini not restarting

Hi,

Same thing happening here.
I encrupted the drive (Filevault), and now the Mini does not restart.
Will boot from a normal power up but not restart. This is a huge problem as I run it as a server and have to remote desktop into it often.
Please let me know if you have found a solution.

Cheers,

Paul

Oujmik

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Could also be worth disconnecting all USB devices - I had a similar problem caused by a dodgy device.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I had this problem once. After some work on reinstalling the OS a few times and eliminating problems I found the issue related to me sharing the main OS SSD on the local network as a complete shared drive. I could share a folder, but if I shared the whole drive and populated permissions then OSX would not reboot. So I 'unshared' the drive and now everything is fine. I guessed it had something to do with not being able to shutdown network connections before trying to reboot.

I have a feeling though that my issue could have been a one off issue with the config I have.

Anyway that is unlikely to directly fix anyone's problems but may provide some ideas in the process of elimination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.