Late 2012 or Mid 2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjptl96, Aug 15, 2014.

1. rjptl96, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

rjptl96 macrumors newbie

I need this computer for college. I was thinking of buying the base 15 inch Mid 2014 model (no dGPU, only iris pro). i will pay $1899 with student discount and get an apple giftcard of $100 (i live in Oregon so no tax :D)

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGXA2LL/A&step=config
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Or should i get the late 2012 Refurbished with a dGPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory). which is $1750

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G...-27ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    is it worth it to pick the cheaper refurbished Ivy Bridge Macbook with a dGPU over the newest one with only Iris Pro and no dGPU?

2. rjptl96, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

rjptl96 thread starter macrumors newbie

-------EDIT--------
    Sorry for the dumb question!

3. simsaladimbamba

"What for" means: what are your computational needs and requirements, as choosing one over the other depend on that. If your only focus is on the graphic card, then go with the one model, that has a graphic card fulfilling your computational needs.

4. rjptl96 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry i misinterpreted the question!

I am going into Computer Science Major, I will also use this for light gaming, and maybe video editing, i just need to future proof this purchase so i dont have to buy a new laptop for a few years.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

"Video editing" is a broad term.
    Future proofing is a myth since noone knows what is around the next corner.

If you mean with "future proofing" that your usage might change, buying a higher speced machine might make sense.

My opinion is: Buy what you need now. Macs have a high resale value, so you can sell and upgrade later.
    For programming and light gaming any macbook sold right now should do the job.
    Beware that the 2012 models have much shorter battery life!

6. rjptl96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha, i understand what you mean, the newer one it is, i might just sell it and get the broadwell in 2015 if it comes out

Thanks

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

8. rjptl96 thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, I'm aiming for the 16gb ram, just to play safe for future

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Mid 2012 rMBP saves money and it got a dGPU for video editing. 2012 is not that OLD yet. :apple:

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

11. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I just bought the mid 2014 rMBP baseline 15" with my student discount and I couldn't be happier! I was nervous upgrading from a 13" 2010 pro but I'm astonished by the speed and power behind this machine. The size is amazing also. I'm a broadcasting student and I regularly edit a lot of video and I'm extremely excited for how this machine will handle it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the base 2014 15" rMBP is the machine you should get :)