Late 2013 13" Retina MBP fan curve control

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikiotty, Nov 4, 2015.

1. mikiotty macrumors 6502

mikiotty

Hello!
    I was just watching a flash video (I know, flash is a CPU hog) and my CPU temperature, as always does when doing something vaguely intensive, went up to 90C with the GPU up to 99C. I really can't stand these temperatures, and I don't care if they are normal. They're just too hot.

Is there a program to modify and customize the fan curve? I want to decrease the temperature where the fan starts to ramp up.

Thank you!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

SMC fancontrol seems to be the general consensus here.

3. mikiotty thread starter macrumors 6502

mikiotty

I already know that app and iStat Menus, but they only let you change the fan speed manually. I want something that increases it automatically as the temperature rises (like MSI Afterburner lets you do in Windows with GPUs).

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

tr
    try SmcFanControl .... BTW the best solution is to just get rid of Flash entirely.

5. mikiotty thread starter macrumors 6502

mikiotty

The flash thing was just an example. The temperature rises whenever I do something even vaguely intensive (it's at 70°C at boot).
    SMCFancontrol doesn't let you change the curve, only the speed.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can use it to set the point at which the fans start ramping up lower though remember you are not controlling a GPU here.
    Doesn't it let you lower the point at which it starts to ramp the fans up???

But to be honest that sounds like it needs a good clean out, try vacuuming out the vents or opening it up and cleaning out any dust carefully with compresssed air.

7. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I use Macs Fan Control, but I agree that these temps are pretty high for a Late 13 13", try cleaning it first.

8. mikiotty thread starter macrumors 6502

mikiotty

It's perfectly clean... It's done it since new, and it's already been totally rebuilt (replaced everything except the SSD) once.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Only other thing I can think of then is replace the thermal paste....