Late 2013 13" Retina MBP fan curve control

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Hello!
I was just watching a flash video (I know, flash is a CPU hog) and my CPU temperature, as always does when doing something vaguely intensive, went up to 90C with the GPU up to 99C. I really can't stand these temperatures, and I don't care if they are normal. They're just too hot.

Is there a program to modify and customize the fan curve? I want to decrease the temperature where the fan starts to ramp up.

Thank you!

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
SMC fancontrol seems to be the general consensus here.
I already know that app and iStat Menus, but they only let you change the fan speed manually. I want something that increases it automatically as the temperature rises (like MSI Afterburner lets you do in Windows with GPUs).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
tr
Hello!
I was just watching a flash video (I know, flash is a CPU hog) and my CPU temperature, as always does when doing something vaguely intensive, went up to 90C with the GPU up to 99C. I really can't stand these temperatures, and I don't care if they are normal. They're just too hot.

Is there a program to modify and customize the fan curve? I want to decrease the temperature where the fan starts to ramp up.

Thank you!
try SmcFanControl .... BTW the best solution is to just get rid of Flash entirely.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
tr

try SmcFanControl .... BTW the best solution is to just get rid of Flash entirely.
The flash thing was just an example. The temperature rises whenever I do something even vaguely intensive (it's at 70°C at boot).
SMCFancontrol doesn't let you change the curve, only the speed.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You can use it to set the point at which the fans start ramping up lower though remember you are not controlling a GPU here.
The flash thing was just an example. The temperature rises whenever I do something even vaguely intensive (it's at 70°C at boot).
SMCFancontrol doesn't let you change the curve, only the speed.
Doesn't it let you lower the point at which it starts to ramp the fans up???

But to be honest that sounds like it needs a good clean out, try vacuuming out the vents or opening it up and cleaning out any dust carefully with compresssed air.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
It's perfectly clean... It's done it since new, and it's already been totally rebuilt (replaced everything except the SSD) once.