Late 2013 13" rMBP Backlight Bleed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LostAggie, Nov 19, 2013.

1. LostAggie macrumors 6502

Here is pick at 100% brightness with solid black background. You can still see at less than 50% which is driving me nuts. Our 2011 MBP 15" has virtually no backlight bleed.

Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

3. LostAggie thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it is really disappointing...

I have been having bad luck with Apple displays lately.

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Return it if you are in the window. Don't bother with genius bar replacements. Get a fresh 14 days and the option of getting a refund if they can't deliver.

Apple's screen suppliers have been terrible these past couple of years. I had no complaints about my 2009 17'' MBP, but gone through at least 7-9 bad screens on various devices since then (iphone 5, ipad 3, ipad 4, ipad air, ipad rMini).

They simply can't market the retina display the way they have been and allow these things to happen. Who cares about pixel density when half of your screen is yellow or if you have terrible backlight bleed.

5. LostAggie thread starter macrumors 6502

I just bought early today... Was Exchanging an iPad Air that had horrible backlight bleed.

6. superego macrumors member

It's not bad luck. You're just experiencing Apple's awful manufacturing standards. Do everyone a favour and return it. The more people return their stuff due to their problems, the more Apple has to pay attention to the display problems. Do not accept substandard quality.

7. LostAggie thread starter macrumors 6502

It is going back... Just trying figure out if I exchange or get refund...

8. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Hey

Same experience as users have mentioned above. I had last years rMBP 13 and had absolute no leakage. Than I upgraded last month to the new model with the Haswell chips (ordered on apple uk website) and it had backlight bleeding, not as bad as I have seen on other MBPs but still enough to be annoying when for example watching movies or editing photos.
    I spoke to apple care and they booked a genius appointment at my local apple store and they did a free display exchange for me (I did take a picture at home showing the leakage as the apple stores are so brightly lit that it is hard to show them. I am glad I did as the genius definitely appreciated showing him the problem, I even emailed the pic to him).
    Picked it up today and it is a prefect screen with absolutely no backlight bleeding even on full brightness.
    Once again Apple costumer service was amazing and I am a happy guy. I do understand that backlight bleeding is common but on a 1400£ machine it should at least be very minimal.
    Good luck