Late 2013 13" rMBP: Do the arrow keys feel "different" than other keys?

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm wondering if I might have a defective keyboard. The arrow keys feel *slightly* different than the other keys; slightly mushier. I can still use them just fine, so I feel like I might be being overly critical, but on an expensive new machine I tend to be a perfectionist, at least for the first few months of owning it.

I should probably get to an Apple Store and compare to the other units on display, but won't be able to until mid-next-week, so I figured I'd ask here. :)

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
mine are too on the same model

but like you said its not really a problem

if it was 2 letter keys, or 2 arrow keys, that were different from one another i would care, but they are different keeys so *in my opinion* it doesn't matter

ctrl-click

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
Manchester
Mine feel fine, if anythingI'd say they're a little harder to push down than the rest but thats probably because they're a smaller key so the mechanism underneath will have less leverage.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Thanks for the replies! You describe exactly how my arrow keys feel.

I guess my machine is fine. It's not really a *problem*; I just wanted to make sure the machine isn't defective. I'm a heavy arrow-key user, being a sysadmin and all. :)

Omnirai

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Antwerp
Same experience here on my first unit (rMBP 13 haswell). The second unit (the one I own now), the stiffness is about the same as the letter keys. Both worked well tho, I wouldnt bother it too much

tigerintank

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
mine feel different if i don't focus on pressing the other keys exactly in the middle. if i do then they feel pretty much the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.