Late 2013 13" rMPB Thunderbolt Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by profanum, Oct 31, 2013.

1. profanum macrumors newbie

I just recieved my late 2013 13" rMBP and am trying to use a Buffalo HD-PA1.0TU3 external thunderbolt drive with it. The drive works fine on my 2011 Air and 2011 13" MBP, both over thunderbolt. I'm experiencing issues with my new rMBP however when I try to copy any data to/from the drive. The error

vtd[0] fault: device 10:0:0 reason 0x6 R:0x100600000

keeps popping up when I try to copy from or to the drive. At this point the copy operation is hung and only cancels when I remove the thunderbolt cable from the laptop. Occasionally if I leave the drive hooked up and sitting there while the copy operation is hung the laptop screen will go black and remain that way until I remove the thunderbolt cable. Once that happens the screen will immediately turn back on and the laptop will be perfectly usable (except for the whole being able to use my thunderbolt drives.) I've also tested with a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt drive that works on the 2011 Air and 2011 MBP, but it has the exact same issue as the Buffalo one. Thunderbolt networking however works fine between the rMBP and either my Air or older MBP. I unfortunately don't have anymore thunderbolt peripherals I can test though. Was wondering if anyone has seen this error before? I searched some and all I could find out is that there is some VTD fault happening with device 10:0:0 which is something on the thunderbolt bus according to ioreg (I'm assuming it's the disk drive.)

Anyone else have any troubles connecting up a thunderbolt hard drive to their late 2013 rMPB? Or any success? I'm thinking I might have a hardware issue.

Thanks!

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

No TB drives yet but I am running into similar issues in trying to use my OWC / Newertech Voyager Q hard drive dock via USB3. It mounts and then locks up, I can't even get disk utility to unmount it, that freezes too and needs a force quit.

I hope it is just a OS/firmware update as I use bare drives in this docking station for off-site backup in a hard case at my buddy's house.

3. profanum thread starter macrumors newbie

Noticed any vtd faults in the console logs? Mine appears in the system log or through the dmesg command in terminal.