Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doug Hope

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Edinburgh
Hi I'm looking to se if anyone else's late 2013 15 with discrete graphics gets hot.

A bit of background. My mac is now out of apple care. I've had the logic board replaced twice due to the GPU failing. It started playing up recently, freezing, switching on but just sitting with a blank screen getting hot. This has been what happened in the past before it completely failed. I managed to get it on long enough to do first aid on the disk then reinstall the OS. Since then it has been ok but I think its running hotter than it used to.

I normally run it in clamshell mode connected to 2 displays. Up until a month ago it was connected to two Acer 22" 1680 x 1050 monitors. It's now connected to two Dell U2414h 1920 x 1080 monitors.

If I have one Dell connected it the temp sits at 45-50C and the CPU is 50-55C. With two connected its sits around 70C and my CPU temps also creep up and sit at 70-75C. My CPU load is about 12%.

I guess I'm trying to find out if this is normal and if other people experience the same thing or if there is something I can/should do.

I only have 1 Acer monitor left, I'm going to connect that up and see what happens.

A bit more info. The Apps I normally have open are Mail, Safari (4-5 tabs no video), Reminders, Calendar

Last edited:

Doug Hope

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Edinburgh
I've been using my other half's late 2013 13" MacBook pro today to do the same work with the same monitors and its running between 45-55C.

Is there anyway I can prove there is a fault with my GPU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.