late 2013 15 inch MBP Temp question (again)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

I'm using my 15 inch rmbp as a desktop replacement, power the apple TB display, and the LG 34 inch display.

I noticed my laptop getting pretty warm so finally installed istat and see that temps from doing normal operations (browsing, itunes, no flash, document editing), temps range from 51 celsius to 65 celsius.

If i unplug it and just use it as a laptop, temps drop to ~35 celsius.

When connected to screens, it's on a 12 south hirise, lid closed, for better air circulation.

I'm not too worried at 60 celsius because from what I've read, it's designed to run as hot as 100 celsius when under heavy load.

I'm just concerned that the temps go up almost 30 degrees celsius when it's plugged into the displays with its lid closed. Its lid open while connected to displays doesn't help, it actually gets even warmer (gfx card under heavier load i suppose)

Normal? Okay for the long term? Should i just consider a refurb mac pro?

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

A refurb Mac Pro is made for editing movies and high end tasks. The reason your machine gets hot is cause you have 2 big screens connected to it and well the graphics card has to handle that. Do you have the retina with dedicated graphics?

3. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

yes i do, i figured the extra heat is due to the nvidia card in here, but a constant 20 degrees higher is a bit worrying long term

4. blooperz macrumors 6502

60 degrees celsius is on the low end...stay strong and carry on there's nothing wrong here...

5. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Oh then that's normal. Dedicated graphics cards run hotter, specially if you are using the card, which in your case you are. If you want to run the system cooler and do heavier tasks, disconnect the displays and use the retina lcd.

6. anarti macrumors regular

Yes, that's normal. You've got 2 monitors to run.
    I use rmbp 15 as desktop repacement with just 1 monitor. My temps are about 45 at idle and around 50-55 when I do anything on it.

As soon as you disconnect it from the display, graphics card is being switched and temps are much lower.