Late 2013 classic MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by technano11, Nov 10, 2013.

1. technano11 macrumors newbie

I'm likely to buy the final revision of non-retina MacBook Pro, due to potential upgrade etc.

1) To double confirm, there isn't any late 2013 classic MacBook Pro, except mid 2013?
    2) Is the classic MacBook Pro affected by issues that's bugging some of latest late 2013 retina MacBook Pro? Screen issues?
    3) also, is there any specific type of ram to look out for when upgrade or any will do?
    Thanks

2. KUguardgrl13, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

1. The MacBook Pro classic hasn't been updated since mid-2012.
    2. Shouldn't have any issues other than possibly some minor Mavericks bugs. The display is completely different from the Retina models. It's been around for a while.
    3. You want to make sure the RAM is 1600mhz DDR3. Any brand will do. Crucial is one of the most reliable and is usually a good price. You can install up to 16gb.

3. technano11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so it's called "mid 2012" thanks!

I'm thinking of buying it and max it out!

4. Lallo macrumors newbie

Thinking the same. Sadly, I can't find any 2.7 ghz versions left in the stores only 2,3 ghz.

cMBP is far more worth to buy than retina, since you can uppgrade ram and replace optical drive with a hdd.

5. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

Upgrade the RAM yourself, it takes 5 minutes. That hardest part of the upgrade is replacing the screws back into the body when re-attaching the bottom cover.

I put in a 240GB SSD, removed the optical drive, and put the stock hard drive back into optical bay (with the adapter). It cruises along very, very nicely.

I believe you can even do a fusion drive with that set up, though I prefer to leave mine as multi-volume.

Super easy to do, and it really probably is the last of the user serviceable MBPs.