Late 2013 iMac 3Tb Mojave install?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mogens, Oct 14, 2018.

1. mogens, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018

mogens macrumors regular

C3E2F57E-BF89-44C3-BC1C-108CFAB6A5BE.jpeg A friend bought a used iMac 3Tb (fusion drive). When i checked it, I noticed that the
    previous owners install of Mojave somehow destroyed the fusion and had split it in two (see picture) My guess is that he had a boot camp partion or something before he installed Mojave.
    My plan is to do a clean install from an external USB stick.
    Is it possible to format the drive SSD/HD as a APSF fusion drive from disk utility on the USB stick before I do a fresh install of Mojave?

2. nambuccaheadsau, Oct 14, 2018

nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

If you add the two together you will find they have partitioned the 3TB platter drive by 50% each. That is what is shown not the SSD or Blade Drive portion. Get the friend to go into 'About this Mac', Apple System Profiler > System Report > SATA/SATA Express and look under SSD SD00128F to see if the Blade Drive is installed.

3. DeltaMac, Oct 14, 2018

DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Fusion drive is 3TB HDD and 128GB SSD.
    Total from the graphic would indicate that the fusion drive is still "fused", and there's two partitions, adding up to 3.12TB. If only the HDD was showing, it would total less than 3TB (and would not use the term "Fusion Drive")
    Go into Disk Utility now, and erase the drive. That will remove all volumes, so there is only one again.
    Reinstall Mojave. That should be all you need to do at this point. (The Mojave installer will take care of the format that is needed during the install.)

4. mogens thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'll check the system report later this week.

5. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I have the same setup. It's still a fusion drive, just partitioned.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

It's important to realize that the SSD portion of the fusion drive IS NOT "partitioned".
    Only the HDD portion gets partitioned (into equally-sized halves).

7. mogens thread starter macrumors regular

I have the exact same iMac (with fusiondrive) and mine looked like this after upgrading to Mojave from app store:

Attached Files:

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Did you have 2 partitions before and Mojave wiped one?

9. mogens thread starter macrumors regular

No..only one (factory setup) and no boot camp partion. I run boot camp from an external USB 3 SSD, the best solution in my opinion.
    I’m very impressed by Mojave, everything runs smooth and fast. Btw. I upgraded from El Capitan.