Late 2013 iMac Keeps hanging even after fresh install

Discussion in 'iMac' started by prezaei, Sep 10, 2014.

1. prezaei macrumors newbie

Hi All

So my iMac late 2013 model ran pretty well for the first few months, it was purchased brand new from the Apple store 1 year ago so the warranty has run out.

Anyway, i found that the Mac kept Freezing at-least once a day and i had to do a hard reset, the computer was running very slow and loading apps took ages. A few days ago i completely formatted the drive and reinstalled Mavericks and a few software that i use, not many. Its been 2 days and the Mac keeps hanging. I havent had to restart yet but Apps seem to hang for a few seconds every few seconds!!! As i type this for example i find every few words i type the cursor hangs even though im typing. I dont have any other apps running and its starting to make me SICK!!!

I cant watch a damn youtube video without it freezing every other frame, Its disgusting.

Could this be a Hardware issue? If so, how can i find out? Are there software that test for this? As i cant take in to an Apple store.

I appreciate any help, you would be saving me from slit wrists

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I'd start by creating a new user account, then run from that account without loading any extensions, utiities or other stuff and see how it goes. Use just the Apple software that Apple installed and see if the problem persists.

You can also do that to a certain degree (run just the Apple stuff) by booting in safe mode. You may get a distorted screen; that's normal. But see if you get hangs.

Also, look at Activity Monitor to see what's running. You may have installed something that is bogging down your performance.

Rob

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Do you have a HDD, Fusion or an SSD?

4. prezaei thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its a HDD. In the system prefrences it has the following, so i guess its HDD?

Available:878.05 GB (878,048,735,232 bytes)
    Capacity: 999.35 GB (999,345,127,424 bytes)
    Mount Point: /
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    Writable: Yes
    Ignore Ownership: No
    BSD Name: disk0s2
    Physical Drive:
    Media Name: APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 Media
    Medium Type: Rotational
    Protocol: SATA
    Internal: Yes
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

----------

Thanks man, i tried that already, seems to be the same regardless. Activity Monitor doesnt show much, the one app i find that uses a lot of memory in activity monitor is Firefox, which i have since not installed.

Could this be a hardware fault? Would it be worth paying to get the Mac checked out? Or maybe theres a way to do it myself using software? Im thinking if im to take it in to get checked i might also add some more RAM, i have 8 and would like to upgrade to the max. That would be cool

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the HDD might be on its way out.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like your hard drive is failing to me.