Late 2013 iMac owners w/ USB audio issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by EpsilonExordium, Jan 8, 2014.

1. EpsilonExordium macrumors member

EpsilonExordium

I have a Late 2013 imac with 3tb Fusion Drive and an Apogee Duet 2. The issue is that when playing audio through my duet, the sound starts to detoriate after about 5 minutes, and eventually sounds like a crackling mess. It's a widespread issue, apparently.

Apparently using a thunderbolt dock solves the problem, correct? Can anyone confirm if using an external thunderbolt display solves the problem as well?

Also, does anyone know when the next OS update will occur? Apparently it fixes the USB audio issues.

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

10.9.2 is still in the early phases of the Beta process and nobody really knows when it'll be released but I'd expect in a month or two.

Apparently the issue is caused by the USB 3.0 interface and you can temporarily solve the issue by downgrading the kext to a 2.0 version. There are a few forum posts around about this and they should be able to help you if you do a search.

3. EpsilonExordium thread starter macrumors member

EpsilonExordium

I bought a Thunderbolt display today, so I can answer my original question.

Connecting a USB audio interface to a thunderbolt display which is connected to a 2013 iMac DOES NOT fix the issue :(

4. EpsilonExordium thread starter macrumors member

EpsilonExordium

Just thought I would share - the latest 10.9.2 beta currently fixes the above stated issue.