Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Hi

I have purchased new late 2013 iMac 3.2 GHz i5 8G Memory and 250 GB Flash Drive.

However I am constantly having problem with internet connection issues. My iMac is wired to the modem.

I had Time Warner cable first but I keep having up and down with connection service. So I switched to Verizon Fios, now I have same problems I got from Time Warner Cable.

I got 75/35 on Verizon Fios, when I have problem with connection, I get 7 on download and 4 on upload compare to what I should have get which is 75/35.

Is it normal? or is my computer defective?

Also, when I click Macintosh HD and click my documents, it takes about 15-20 secs to load what's in my folder. Is that normal?

Thanks.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Hi

I have purchased new late 2013 iMac 3.2 GHz i5 8G Memory and 250 GB Flash Drive.

However I am constantly having problem with internet connection issues. My iMac is wired to the modem.

I had Time Warner cable first but I keep having up and down with connection service. So I switched to Verizon Fios, now I have same problems I got from Time Warner Cable.

I got 75/35 on Verizon Fios, when I have problem with connection, I get 7 on download and 4 on upload compare to what I should have get which is 75/35.

Is it normal? or is my computer defective?

Also, when I click Macintosh HD and click my documents, it takes about 15-20 secs to load what's in my folder. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Have you migrated your settings using the migration wizard? What is your exact setup? Try repairing disk permissions for a start.
Does your Mac get an IP from a DHCP? Do you have a Router also or just a modem?

hancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Have you migrated your settings using the migration wizard? What is your exact setup? Try repairing disk permissions for a start.
Does your Mac get an IP from a DHCP? Do you have a Router also or just a modem?

What's migration wizard and DHCP?

I have a modem from Verizon wireless which is modem/router. iMac is connected with wire from modem and have 2 iPhone and 1 iPad running with wireless.

I have iMac basic model just upgraded to 215 flash drive.

hancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Here's my screen capture of my speed. I should be getting 75/35.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 4.33.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 4.33.16 PM.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 230

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Go to System Preferences and in the Network pane click the cog at the bottom then go to set service order and drag the ethernet connection to the top. Then apply the settings and restart.

See if that helps. This will ensure you are connected via wired ethernet and the iMac is not joining the wifi connection for Internet.

Are you seeing good wifi Internet speeds on the other wireless devices if you use a speedtest app?

lFuF8HA.png

hancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Go to System Preferences and in the Network pane click the cog at the bottom then go to set service order and drag the ethernet connection to the top. Then apply the settings and restart.

See if that helps. This will ensure you are connected via wired ethernet and the iMac is not joining the wifi connection for Internet.

Are you seeing good wifi Internet speeds on the other wireless devices if you use a speedtest app?

It is already set up to Ethernet up top.

I am mostly on my iMac barely touches any other wireless devices.

----------

Is it safe to say my iMac is defective?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It is already set up to Ethernet up top.

I am mostly on my iMac barely touches any other wireless devices.

----------

No, I wouldn't call it defective yet.
First, how are the other internet-connected devices running? Slow too or full speed.

As for Finder slowness, make sure all your data is backed up and try reinstalling OS X.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Ordinarily, wired ethernet either works or it does not work at all due to a bad connector or cable.

You did not answer what speeds you are getting with the other wireless devices using a speedtest app?

How about disconnect the ethernet cable then join wifi and see what speeds you get?

Try a safe mode boot (hold shift while booting), then do a speed test from there. That will eliminate any conflict with login items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.