Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bullzie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
Has anyone been successful as get 4k60p to work on this iMac? If I boot into Windows 10 I get 4k60p right away without having to do anything so it isn't an issue with the card but regardless of what I try I can't get 60p out of it on the Mac side. 4k30p is as high as I can get. Would the updated vbios from the 2011 iMac thread for updated display adapters help me out or no?

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Are you sure it's 4K@60Hz on external screen? To my knowledge the Display port protocol on this iMac does not support 4K at that refresh rate

I looked really hard at this model and turned it down because of this... :/

Bullzie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
That's what the monitor reports. While I love my Macs it is frustrating to have hardware limited arbitrarily. Just like having to Bootcamp into Windows to get HD audio bitstreamed.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I can't find the article (try googling it) but I'm pretty sure it's not correct, the HW just can't push 4K@60Hz regardless of the OS due to the DP version. My Mac mini 2012 has same DP specs and the only way how to push 4K@60Hz is eGPU.... have a look at egpu.io, there are some builds with you iMac, but it's a complicated setup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.