late 2013 iMac & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bottleneck, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bottleneck macrumors member

Hello guys

I have a new 27' iMac and I failed multiple times to get Windows 7 via bootcamp 5 running. I have a Windows 7 CD but i tried it from a USB stick with ISO aswell.

CD - runs fine till u have to set a username and pc name at end of installation, then --> no keyboard or mouse support (cable numpad keyboard apple / mouse razor)

stick - fails already where you have to choose country, language... no mouse and keyboard

There are 64x drivers i downloaded at put into the correct driver folder form the windows support files. when I install via the CD it doesn't see the usb 3 stick with the drivers.

Some people talk about USB support others talk about Superdrive right / flash left usb on macbook airs to make it work...some have special strategies to make the stick work.

however i installed Windows 7 wihtout problem on my macbook pro months ago. worked as it should in bootcamp. That one has no external keyboard and mouse though

Some say stick needs to be USB 2 (which would make sense - gonna buy one tommorrow), some say you can only have the keyboard and mouse connected (i would need to pull superdrive and stick out)...some say it depends on the ports.

I'm really confused how to get it runnning. The EFI seems like to be installed already since i cant install it.

Is there someone who succesfully installed Windows 7 on the latest iMac and could give me a hint to make it running?

thx a lot in advance

2. jlpek17 macrumors regular

It seems that the problem is the same with the MacBookAir 2013 under Windows 8 and it is related to the USB-3 port drivers.

Have you a $WinPEDriver$ at the root of your install disk of Win7 ? You have to ! Then get the lastest Intel USB-3 drivers ; decompress it ; put in this directory $WinPEDriver$ ; install Win 7.

Windows 8.1 has the new drivers integrated and the problem is solved.