Late 2013 iMac - Won't accept my RAM?!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Xeleon, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Xeleon, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

Xeleon macrumors newbie

Hi,

My new iMac was delivered today and I only went through the setup followed my a manual shut down and an attempt to install my new ram.

Anyway,

The 2x8 GB ram from Crucial I ordered is the following:

OWC1600DDR3S16P

16GB DDR3L PC12800 1600Mhz kit (8GBx2)

After installing them I attempted to boot the computer without any luck. No light, no noise - nothing. It was like the computer was completely without power.

Are these the wrong Ram? Can I check if installing them has caused any damage to my computer etc?

Please help me!

Best regards,
    Xeleon

2. omnisphere macrumors member

OWC is not Crucial? Go to crucial website and search for Apple memory and you will find the right RAM. Be sure to choose the right one for your iMac, it is a long list of iMacs. I am pretty sure that the RAM you got is wrong. Good luck man! :D

3. Xeleon thread starter macrumors newbie

4. 70s technology macrumors newbie

70s technology

Looks to match up spec-wise alright. Are you sure it's physically installed correctly? The RAM sticks aren't loose or anything?

I presume that when you physically remove the extra RAM that the machine boots up OK again?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

sometimes you just get a bad stick of ram...

I would inspect the new ram closely and compare it to your old ram to see if there's some difference..

try re-inserting very carefully. Last time I upgraded RAM on my 24" iMac I had to do it 3 times to get it to seat properly.

6. 70s technology macrumors newbie

70s technology

It's odd that it won't even power on but as old-wiz says, maybe it's just a bad stick of RAM.

There is a long thread on issues that others are having with 3rd party RAM in the late-2013 iMac here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5519900?start=30&tstart=0

But the symptoms I've seen are mostly around system stability as opposed to a flat out refusal to even power on, so not sure how relevant that is.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well, there's your problem. You're using DDR3L, which you're not supposed to use. The DDR3L is only meant for rMBPs and MBAs.

The iMac uses the standard DDR3 1600MHz RAM.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I just put crucial memory in my imac here is what I bought

Qty: 1 CT4951625
    Part Number: CT2C4G3S160BMCEU
    Description: 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Apple iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) System

Note that my iMac wouldn't boot first time either but when I checked I hadn't seated one of the sticks quite right, a little push and it went in further and it's been fine since.

9. IA64 macrumors 6502

Please stop spreading wrong info. The late 2013 iMac is shipped with a 1.35V RAMs. You can check yours if you don't believe... Using 32 GB RAM @ 1.5V will make your system crash due to insufficient power required.

Moreover, the RAM stick he bought is certified to be compatible with late 2013 generation.

DDRL3 = 1.35Volts

Apple should update the memory specs required. All other RAM manufactures did.

You can call it 1.35V DDR3 or just DDR3L. I am using DDR3L now and my computer is running with no problem whatsoever.

Back to the OP, I suggest you mix the new RAM with the old one installed and see if the computer boots.

If a bad RAM stick could cause any damage to your iMac, Apple would have totally restricted a user upgrade for memory modules...

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mine shipped with DDR3 (not DDR3L), I checked in System Info. Meanwhile my RMBP clearly stated DDR3L.

And also if you check Apple's site and customize the iMac and RMBPs, you can clearly see that in the RAM area of customizing, it's DDR3 for iMac and DDR3L for the RMBP.

Attached Files:

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

And if you look at the attachment in my previous and current posts, you can see tha the iMac is DDR3 and the RMBP is DDR3L.

If it's DDR3, it's 1.5V.
    If it's DDR3L, it's 1.35V.

Attached Files:

12. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

It's probably just not seated properly if you've never done the RAM install before. You can be a little rough with it ;)

Anyways, I just bought 2x4GB dims off eBay that were the same dims in my new iMac. $48 for OEM apple 16GB of RAM, not too bad if you ask me :)

13. IA64 macrumors 6502

Again, Apple must have missed it in on their website. I don't trust what I read, I trust what the system is handling.

- OWC, Crucial and Kingstone etc.. all are selling 1.35V RAMs for the late 2013 iMac.

- Apple shipped the iMacs with 1.35V RAMs ( please check your system if you have a late 2013 )

- Plenty of threads about system crash with 1.5Volts / 32GB etc..

This certainly is not a coincidence.

You can call it DDR3 or DDR3L it's not an issue.

IF you check this product which I have : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104358

Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model KHX16LS9P1K2/16

It's not called DDR3L yet it's rated at 1.35V

No big deal. Just get a 1.35V module whatever it's called.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Mine's late 2013 21.5" and 27" iMacs.

Both are just normal DDR3, as seen in System Info.

15. mrbrown macrumors 6502

Check to make sure it is properly installed. It is an easy mistake to make - they may look like they are pushed in all the way but they are not making all of the necessary contacts.

16. dublove macrumors newbie

I just installed the exact same ram - owc1600ddr3s16p

Took two attempts, 3 beeps on the first go, then I took em out which is not easy especially the top most one. It's important to push it into the slot keeping the module parallel to the sides (its an exact fit!)

I gave the two modules a real firm & even pressing down with both thumbs each side. Booted straight up.

17. jordanm86 macrumors regular

System info is irrelevant - You need to look at the label on the DIMMS. I have had two late 27" 2013 iMacs (third arriving tomorrow - first one would crash with third party RAM, second one with 32GB apple ram but had a dodgy screen) and both of them used DDR3L.

I too wondered why Apple did not mention this on their site as they clearly state DDR3L for the Macbook Air and the rMBP but perhaps that is because it is a sellable feature... ie look, we use low power RAM so you battery lasts longer - the iMac does't really have any benefits using low powered RAM except it allows Apple to streamline it's orders by ordering more of the same unit and problably brings cost down for them too. 0.6v (4 x (1.5v - 1.35v)) is good for saving laptop power but virtually no difference considering what the iMac consumes.