Late 2013 iMac's spec bump in early 2015?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shpenza, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Shpenza macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the late 2013 iMac's will get a spec bump in early 2015?

I am thinking about busying a new iMac, maybe the 5K retina, but as i see some issues with its GPU preformance, i might wait for the non retina iMac update.

Does anyone know about such update in early 2015?

Thanks,

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

And we we know that how? Apple does not divulge that information.

3. Shpenza thread starter macrumors regular

That is what i am asking in this post, if anyone knows about a near future update rumor ;)

4. cynics, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

cynics macrumors G4

Since we are just guessing obviously. I would assume so or at least some of the bottom tier specs will be dropped and the base price will reflect better (currently available) specs.

I'm not all that interested in the 5K Mac currently.

EDIT : Just realized how stupid what I just said was. Of course they are going to do that, thats how computer updates generally work. There will also be higher specs at a premium lol

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Wil intel have a broadwell update in early 2015?

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I doubt it, the non-retina iMac is now like the non-retina MBP. 4K 21.5'' and update/price drop for 27'' 5K likely in 2015. The bulk of the non-retinas will probably be discontinued in late 2015 or early 2016 and one legacy 21.5'' non-retina model kept for a bit longer at a lower price point.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

LOL, this is a rumor site. Anyone saying anything about an update would be purely speculative. No one but Apple knows, that's the point I'm trying to make.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not likely. The non-retina iMac will go down the same pathway as the non-retina MBP.

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

This. Remember the shock in June 2012 when the rMBP came out? Within three years there'll be no such thing as non-retina. The retina iMac redefines what a computer is like. Reminds me most of when the Compaq Deskpro 386 came out. Everyone though it was overspecced and overpriced, but very soon afterwards everything else just tried to get as close to it as they could.

10. Shpenza thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your input, yeah it looks like the new 5k iMac sets a new standard that will decommission the old none retina iMac's during 2015/2016

I really hope there is a spec bump update in early 2015 becasue i recently sold my old computer for an upgrade, but by the looks of many iMac 5K owners, a high % is not happy with Apple's GPU selection for AMD's 290X and 295X.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I've seen a few people squealing about the GPU just based on the assumption that it' a mobile GPU, but all of the reviews I've seen seem to give the graphics high marks, even in high end gaming. There are some complaining about stuttering in mission control but I' pretty confident at this point that it's a software issue since the interface seems to handle other even more intensive graphics tasks with no problem.

12. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

The next updates will occur when Intel gets their act together with Broadwell.

The more things change, the more they stay the same (hello, Moto!).

As pretty as the 27" retina is, it would be overkill for me.

I'm hoping for some sort of a retina 24", and can afford to wait some, but may break down and get a 27". My C2D iMac is finally starting to feel its age.

13. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I think you'll find your "high percentage" is a combination of OCDs, people who can't afford the imac, and trolls or paid employees of other companies. Remember that every single new Apple product without fail gets all sorts of nutters on here complaining how hopeless it is.

The riMac is an amazing computer, particularly in its higher powered guise. You can either believe the trolls, or enjoy a superb computer. Your choice.

14. Shpenza thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your feedback,
    So as a iMac 5K owner, you see no issues with the GPU? (heat, preformance, etc), for gaming on OSX or windows OS's?
    Which GPU have you selected?

Thanks,

15. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

Every review I've read on the Retina iMac says at the conclusion that it's a great machine IF you have a need for it's specific features and that the current iMacs are fine for most users,

It sounds to me like maybe you just want something new to have something newer. It sounds to me like you could probably wait for Broadwell or possibly Skylake.

16. powerslave65 macrumors 6502

powerslave65

Computers are so fast today that the leaps are smaller and smaller. By that measure the screen on the 5k iMac is a monumental leap in display tech on a all in one and tied with thunderbolt 2 it's a solid upgrade...I couldn't afford it or wait 2 weeks so I settled on a maxed out late 2013 iMac for a great price. If things were a little different I would have bought one.

:apple:

17. andy9l, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

andy9l macrumors 68000

No it's not. And the latter doesn't happen. It doesn't.

The riMac runs hot. Apple says it themselves. In fact, it runs hotter than the top-end Mac Pro at full whack.

However, the key takeaway is that it's not an issue like many people make it out to be, it's just how it is. It's like the original rMBPs that hurt people's laps because they got so hot. Bad for humans, but fine for the hardware.

I'm looking at getting a 5K iMac too. I've done an almost obsessive amount of research on it, as always. I try to avoid subjective complaints, though. My view on the situation is as follows:

The fans are running harder on lower intensity tasks than previous iMacs, which is why people are complaining. Those who aren't complaining either don't notice fan noise, have room acoustics that dull the sound, or don't do many mid-intensity tasks.

Remember, high-intensity tasks would set fans off on old and new iMacs, so you've got a niche of people who are specifically doing mid-intensity tasks that will notice the difference in fans. They're frequently carrying out tasks that wouldn't set fans off on a 2013 iMac, but now do on a 5k.

A subset of those people are complaining.

Edit: If anyone else is better informed - please do let me know. The above is simply my understanding.

18. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Or people who want a desktop GPU in an expensive desktop. Definitely an interesting concept :rolleyes:

No complaints here though, the laptop GPU works fine for me.

19. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It certainly does, sadly. Just like it does on restaurant and hotel review sites. And everywhere else on the net. You need to be able to filter it out.

20. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

There will not be an iMac spec bump in the first quarter of 2015.

Bryan

21. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

If anything there will be a retina 21in along with a refreshed 27in next summer or fall. The 2013 will probably languish like the non retina mbp. I picked up a 2013 i7 on sale. I decided it's plenty fast and will hold me over until the next major revision to the retina iMac in 2016 or 2017.

22. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

Your own link shows how the late 2014 27 inch iMac runs less hot than the late 2013 27 inch iMac.

23. andy9l macrumors 68000

Indeed. Hence my post. Read it.

24. elkiehound macrumors newbie

Perhaps they will release new models with a 256SSD / Fusion drive ?

25. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

It is cute you say this. You realize riMac lost Target Display Mode right? That could be a legit reason to think it is a step backwards. You realize that a mobile GPU is never going to touch a full fledged GPU on performance and of course you will get stuttering on 4K. And no, I'm not a troll or a paid shill. I own 5 Macs and my own custom built PC. I also rarely respond to fanbois, but this whole "retina is obviously better" mentality of late discounts the drawbacks to it. It's an awesome tech, but I don't think replacing everything is a win-win.