Late 2013 Mac Pro won't boot just keeps chiming

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kuau, Nov 10, 2017.

1. kuau macrumors newbie

My late 203 Mac Pro 6 Core has died on me. When I go to turn it on, it just continually does the startup chime.
    I have tried everything, reset SMC, Zap PRAM, I cannot get into recovery mode or even diagnostics by hitting the D key at startup.
    Any ideas?

http://www.kuau.com/IMG_0002.mov

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Try removing your RAM sticks (all of them), then try to boot. You won't boot, of course, but a different error result might just reset your logic board (and it SHOULD error out differently, not just a boot loop), and (after re-inserting the RAM) may let you boot correctly again.

3. kuau thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, yes I did get a different "beep" code, then I went ahead and put the memory back in and rebooted.
    Same thing. Ugh. I have an appointment tomorrow at the Apple "Idiot" bar where I am sure they will have no idea either

4. MarkJames68 macrumors 6502

MarkJames68

For whom the Mac chimes, it chimes for thee...and chimes, and chimes.

Wow, that’s odd. Hope you got it resolved.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

A chime loop sounds like a dead graphics card. My MacPro did exactly that when my GPU bit the dust.

6. RyanXM macrumors member

RyanXM

Try holding the SHIFT key after the POST chime for 10 seconds. This will boot in SAFE boot and not load any GPU drivers. If it boots successfully in SAFE boot, then its more than likely and issue related to the GPUs.

Also, about the "IDIOT" bar...there are plenty of capable people who work at Apple at the Genius Bar. Not all Genius' are at the same knowledge level, I'll give you that. But being a Genius for over 5 years, I can attest to there being unqualified "kids" working at the Genius Bar as well as those who are over qualified.

7. kuau thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny, I left my Mac Pro on Saturday at the Genius Bar, the "kid" who helped me looked at my Mac Pro as if he had never even seen one before. What a joke, I think he was expecting an iPhone 10 or something. Oh well they have it now and who knows how long it will take for them even to look at it. As of 4:00pm Tuesday MST they have not even checked it yet.
    What a joke, Apple give me a break