Late 2013 Macbook Pro 13 SSD speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tdream, Oct 28, 2015.

1. tdream macrumors 65816

My late 2013 Macbook Pro 13 512gb ssd is slowing down a lot recently. Checked out the speed with Blackmagic Disk Test and discovered it's performing at roughly 200-250 write and 700 read. Similar specced MacBooks are performing at 700/700. Is there any Mac App that can bring the write speed back to the original speed?

Currently running El Capitan.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

1) Bad advice, does more harm than good with certain 3rd party drives. Dangerous to suggest this as a blanket statement with any SSD.

2) TRIM would be enabled anyway as it's an Apple-signed drive on OP's computer, it's not aftermarket.

OP, a few things you can check:

1) Make sure the SSD isn't corrupted, download SMART Utility. Anything other than 'Passed' is bad news.

2) Providing that passed, run a Disk Utility verification. Any red writing/errors? Quote this if so, we'll go through a repair in Recovery OS.

3) Providing both of the above are OK, restart your Mac with 'reopen windows when logging back in' disabled.

4) If you're still having an issue, try PRAM/SMC reset.

Let me know what the news is and we'll go from there.

4. Erdbeertorte, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

I just tested it on a Mid 2013 Air with 256 GB SSD: 650 write / 710 read

Often the writing speed is slowing down if a SSD gets too full. How much space do you have left?

If there is only little space left on it you could try moving some big files to an external drive and test it again after that.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I know it's an apple signed drive but it may have become disabled somehow and it is the most likely cause of write slowdown if that is the case, as I understand it el capitan changed the TRIM support for third party drives, this may be causing a rare issue... it's worth a check in the system report.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do a command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to run First Aid on the drive to see if that finds any errors. That will also TRIM all unused space on the drive and perhaps help with your write speeds. Then reboot and test again.

7. tdream thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies guys.

I download the smart utility and it reported that there were no errors.

It's an official 512Gb drive from Samsung SM0512F.

Rebooted into recovery using Weaselboy's suggestion, and ran the First Aid function. Restarted the machine and tested with Blackmagic again. Write speeds are up to 400-450 which is a noticeable improvement!

I usually always sleep the Macbook when not in use and most of the SSD is filled, only 10-5 gbs of free space is normal for me, so full restarts range from a week to a month, which is probably not good for the system. Even though trim is turned on, it feels like it isn't working and the doing a command-r boot + First Aid actually forces the trim to work.

8. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

That's most likely why you get the slower read/write speed when benchmarking with Blackmagic Disk Test.

Also, do you have FileVault on? I get slightly slower read/write speed with it on compared to off.