Late 2013 Macbook Pro Shutdown Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by le9508, May 8, 2014.

1. le9508 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I've been having issues with my Late 2013 Macbook Pro when I try to shut down or restart it since I got it back in January, but it has been annoying me lately so I've decided to do something about it. Most of the time when I try to restart or shut down, the computer gets stuck at the desktop and the dock stays on screen. The only way to make it shut down is to hold the power button and click shut down again. Also, when it does start the process of shutting down, the whole process takes at least 30 seconds, while it used to take less than 10 on my Late 2008 Macbook pro.
    I suspect a program or driver is causing this issue, but I don't know how to isolate it and uninstall it without doing a complete reinstall, which I do NOT want to do since it would take so long.
    Any solutions or fixes for similar issues would be nice!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this... make a note of the exact time then try the restart to replicate the error. Then start your Mac back up after the shutdown. Now open the Console log app fem /Applications/Utilities and scroll back to the exact time you did the shutdown and see if you can find any error messages in that log that help pin this down.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

I would suggest to run "Maintenance" and see if this helps.
    Maintenance will check the disk / repair the permissions / clear caches, etc...
    Check "Execute maintenance scripts"
    Uncheck the "Caches and web history" if you want to keep it.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php

4. le9508 thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly should I be looking for in the console?
    I see a couple of ERROR messages followed by -[Application hardKill:]
    But it says nothing of which application is causing these problems