Late 2013 MBP 13" Retina, screen issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cremerhm, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Cremerhm macrumors 6502

Hey all,

This is the situation: had an Late 2013 MBP 13" Retina with the "coating problem".
    Brought it in at a authorised reseller and they've changed the screen for me under the extended Apple warranty. So far so good!

Problem is: this screen has the "mura effect" problem....
    Bigger problem: the authorised reseller, the same that put te screen in my MacBook, "doesn't see the problem".

Attached you'll find a picture.
    Offcourse I can point the exact location(s), but maybe it's better that I don't so people can tell me if they see it as well. Best is not to search for it, but just look at the complete picture...if that makes sense...

It's mostly visible on lighter backgrounds (so like almost every forum/outlook/word/etc etc) and really irritates me :-(

What should I do?
    Nearest Apple Store is a 200KM drive for me :-(
    [​IMG]

2. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

@Cremerhm, tbf I don't see the mura and I've had it on my own rMBP 15" late 2013 so I know how it looks. Are you sure you're not talking about uneven backlight rather than a mura?

Nevertheless in my case it was hard to make it visible on a photo when it was easily visible with eyes. Maybe the photo is not good?

3. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

@tryrtryrtryrt , thank you for you're reply!
    Could be uneven backlight rather than mura, maybe I misread what Mura is.

I see "it" just above the black bar in the bottom of the screen, at 3/4

It is hard to make a picture of it, this is the best of the worse ;-)

4. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

@Cremerhm, is it like this 1 2 3?

"just above the black bar in the bottom of the screen, at 3/4" I see *big* spot of uneven backlight. And mura is quite always small (1-2 cm).

5. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

Again, tx for you're reply.
    Good that you see it to, started to think I either need glasses or just stop seeing things that er not there ;-)
    But: uneven backlight, is this something the reseller should take care of?
    The screen they replaced it for had no backlighting issues or whatsoever .. it "only" had the coating problem..

6. tryrtryrtryrt, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Let me divide it in several parts.

First of all, I don't think Apple considers either mura or backlight unevenness to be warranty covered issues unfortunately. With AppleCare they might make an exception but you shouldn't, like, be sure to get it. And since you haven't mentioned it I think you don't have AppleCare. However Apple POV and consumer laws are quite different. :)

Then, as far as I know the replaced part is covered with 90 day warranty in Apple (at least in my country) even if the whole product is already out of warranty. You should confirm this is the case in the Netherlands and if it is be sure to have a paper trail that confirms this. I don't know consumer laws of the Netherlands but I've heard they're pretty strict. Judging by common sense IMHO consumer laws of any country must save you from worse product than you had if it being worse has not been communicated to you. It's kind of a grey area with backlight to prove it became worse but I'd still think this is a solid case to raise a question based on your consumer rights. Just read the laws before you go to the reseller again. Claim that the replaced display is under warranty (if it is) and that it's worse than the initial one (of course in it's initial state not when coating started to fail) and you want it to be replaced for free.

Thirdly, consult with your consumer laws and similar cases of Apple in your country - maybe after 1 repair you're already eligible to cancel the contract and get the money back or at least get new machine, not a repair. If you are be prepared the reseller will not like doing it. :) So prepare extracts from the laws and be adamant if you're sure you're eligible (of course be reasonable, don't be aggressive or anything; you're just a sad consumer that wants his problems to go away and to love Apple again thereafter :)).

Lastly, there are ways that have a chance to wear off coating from the new display and get it replaced under same free replacement program. But they're dishonest, lengthy and without guaranteed result. So think twice if the issue is that bad.

Anyway know your country Apple policies and consumer laws. There are residents of the Netherlands on the forum. They might help better. I'm not one of them.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 11, 2016 ---
    Also see this link (summary in the bottom) and think if it applies to your case.

7. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for this very detailed reaction.
    You're right, I do have a 90 days guarantee on the repair.
    I also send the reseller a e-mail friday, telling them the replaced screen is worse than the original one (offcourse before the coating problem).

I don't have Apple Care, but bought it directly from the Apple Online Store.
    They told me to bring it to a reseller to get it repaired.

Long story short, I'll just have to wait what the response to my e-mail will be.
    Should they say it's not an defect, I will contact Apple and (politely) ask them to solve the issue.
    And they can see i'm an Apple addict, already pre-ordered the iPhone 7+ ;-)

Thanks again!!

(personal question: would this degree of uneven backlight irritate you as well? Enough to keep "stalking" them? ;-) )

8. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

IMHO yes. My two points are the following:
    1. even though I don't pay that much attention to backlight and would probably let it live, there are other small problems that highly irritate me - e. g. there is a slightly bent key on my mid-2015 which does not interfere with its usage at all but I notice it every time and hate it and going to act on it - so I understand backlight might be irritating to you, every person is different;
    2. the product that costs that much must be flawless; if it is not, the least producer can do is to replace its components free of charge for it to become flawless.

9. Cremerhm thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, very clear and I feel the same!
    Will wait till Tuesday for a reply, if I don't have it by then I'll start calling them again..... frustrates me that with a premium product you get not so premium service at some resellers.