Late 2013 MBPr 13" not starting up or charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmcconkey, May 3, 2017.

1. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

My boss brought in his daughter's MBPr telling me that it was not turning on. The first thing I tried to do when I got it was to plug it up since it would not turn on but the green light on the MagSafe 2 charger would not come on and I tried it on multiple outlets. I suggested that he try to find another MagSafe 2 charger to try it with to see if that was the cause of the problem, when he came back in today he had bought a new one and it is still not lighting or up charging the MBPr. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I would like to try to resolve the problem without having to take it in for repair.

Thanks in advance.
    Christopher

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No power, no charging, no light on the magsafe connector?
    And, no change with a different magsafe adapter?

Next step is to try replacing the magsafe DC-in board.
    It's not too difficult to replace that yourself - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...te+2013+MagSafe+DC-In+Board+Replacement/27312
    iFixit sells both the part, and the tools that you might need on that same page.

If replacing the DC-in board does not fix the problem, then you need to replace the logic board.

3. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

This makes sense as the problem, I was hoping that it would not be though. Do you think that there are any other options for what it could be?

Also thanks for the quick reply.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

One normal test is to try both an SMC, and NVRAM resets.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
    Both would require that the system accepts power - and that is not working for you.
    The charging/power system has only a few items:
    external charger (magsafe adapter) which you have likely ruled out by trying a new part.
    Internal connector (the magsafe/DC-in board)
    Logic board - everything goes through the logic board.
    Battery - less likely, as you should still be able to get power, even with a dead battery.

But, a quick check - try disconnecting the internal battery, (leave the magsafe disconnected for this) then the SMC reset (press and hold the left-side Shift-Control-Option, then press the power button at the same time.)
    Hold those keys, plus the power button for about 10 seconds.
    Release the keys.
    NOW, plug in the magsafe.
    Wait, don't do anything else for about 30 seconds.
    Does the magsafe LED come on, even briefly?
    After waiting, try to press and release the power button.
    Any response? If there is none, then you would need to continue on with replacing the DC-in board...

5. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

After trying these suggestions, take it to an apple store to see if they can do anything for you.

Does the laptop have an extended apple care plan?