Late 2013 MPR 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmarts, Oct 25, 2013.

1. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey Guys

I just got a Macbook retina with 8gb of ram i am using it for everyday things like iTunes, web surfing, word-processing, etc. I have been noticing that the system hogs a lot of memory. i can understand sometimes a simple restart solves the problem. As I speak i have a bit over 4gb free with mail, safari (three tabs) and iTunes open .

That said if i live with the 8gb of ram will i get some good years use of it and be able to update to the next two osx iterations without a hitch, or should i take it back and get one customised with 16GB of ram

cheers
    Marty

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

An old saying about OSX bears repeating. Free memory is wasted memory. Don't look at the lack of free memory as a lack of resources. Look at your swap used within Activity monitor.

It used to be in versions prior to Mavericks you'd look at your page outs but they changed things so I think its the swap used measurement that helps you if resources are getting tight. That and Memory pressure

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

There's nothing to worry about. RAM is a resource to be used, and unless you're running out of RAM, the more used, the better.

I use two Macs, one with 4GB of RAM and another with 16GB. Though I perform very similar tasks on both, the latter often uses over 10GB of RAM. The Mac is just making use of the available memory.

4. mrmarts, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the feedback I am getting a 27" iMac with the 2.5 i7 processor, 16gb of ram, 3 tb fusion and 4gb 780m video card. The macbook is like my errands computer, I however would like to update the OSX in my late 2013 13" retina for several years and than when i can no longer update the OSX i will just go out and buy another stock 13" as I picked it rather cheap.

I would love a 15" but they are too big for my workspace so i am taking the gamble and sticking with the 13" retina as its an awesome machine. I hope i get at least 2 years out of it and enjoy at least the next operating two operating systems.