Late 2013 possible overheating

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cynics, May 25, 2014.

1. cynics, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

cynics macrumors G4

Over the passed few days I've noticed something strange. If I play Elder Scrolls Online for multiple hours the graphics get significantly worse. The texture rendering is blurry. Stop the game and allow it to cool off and all is fine. No noticeable drop in frame rate. I can always slightly hear the fan but never hear an increase/decrease in it's speed.

Questions
    Is this a sign of overheating? Any recommendation for a temp monitor, preferably free? Maybe just buggy software (relatively new game)?

Late 2013 iMac i5 3.4, 775m, HDD, 24gb RAM.

Thanks

2. cfurlin macrumors regular

cfurlin

I don't think it's overheating.

My Mac doesn't overheat but I get the same blurry textures. It comes on quite slowly and each time I zone, there are more and more of them. Restarting the game fixes the issue.

3. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

You are absolutely right.

I played for 4-5 hours and noticed it getting worse and worse. Eventually it crashed, I immediately started it back up (everything still hot) and the game looked and played perfectly again.

Any suggestions on a temp monitor for a late 2013 iMac?

4. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

Not trying to bump my own thread but came up with more info and I wanted to see if its normal, I'm assuming it is.

Downloaded temp gauge app.

So CPU averages while gaming around 155-160 degrees F (68-71 C). The GPU Diode 0 gets up to around 199 degrees F (92-93 C). Is that normal?

The app reported the fan was running at 1300 RPM max. Generally sits around 1190-1205 RPM. I'd think around 200 degrees the fan would ramp up a bit more.

Again, not experiencing any problems (outside of poor programming of the game) just curious if all is normal.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are normal, given the workload. If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

6. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Let's face it, 90c or more for the GPU is HOT!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hot, but not too hot. It's still within normal operating limits.

8. cynics, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

cynics thread starter macrumors G4

Late 2013 possible overheating

The max I've seen GPU diode 0 is 93c. I feel that's a bit excessive on a non overclocked OEM built machine.

Fan ramps to 1300 rpm but I believe that's based on CPU temp.

No degradation in performance except like mentioned but I believe that's the programming. Next time I see poor texture rendering I'll post back with temps.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't care if 93 C is within normal operating range, I would spend the $16 to get iStat Menu and set the fan to 1900-2600 RPM to cool the sucker off. Heat is bad for any machine. Especially one that is as thin as the iMac that can keep the heat inside the case.

Apple's stock fan control sucks. They will let the heat build up just to keep quiet operation. I play X-Plane and the 780M will rise to 80 C on Apple's default settings. Manually setting the fan to 2600 RPM lowers that to 63 C.

10. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

Good to know. I'll look into iStat.

Be cool if Apple could look into fan speed + system volume/sound output. While gaming even on the lowest volume setting the fan is inaudible. Even just to keep the GPU sub 90c degrees.

I googled nVidia cards and it would appear newer models will throttle themselves around 120c so I'm still a long way off. However this is the type of game I could play for 200-300+ hours if not longer as new content is added. That has to take it's toll on the GPU being a constant 93c.

Not overly concerned since I have AppleCare+.

11. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

I ended up getting the full version of Temp Gauge. Setting the fan around 1800-1900 RPM keeps the GPU around 85c at the max. OSX can still increase passed that if required. I find that range to be cool enough and quiet enough.

It also has setting for fan auto boost if the CPU reaches a user defined set point and "any other sensor" reaches a separate user defined set point. It can also give you warning notifications.

Probably not required but it gives me peace of mind. I was able to get the GPU to 95c with the stock fan profile. :eek:

In my second post I mentioned I didn't think it was heat causing the problem with texture rendering but after getting a temp monitor I'm not sure. The GPU cools off very very quickly, simply putting the game in the background for 10 seconds will drop its temp 20c. So when the game crashed and I restarted it, it could have easily cooled off enough for it to work properly again.

Since setting the fan to 1800-1900 and keeping the GPU at 85c max I haven't had any issues with textures rendering in ESO. Come this weekend will be the test when I can play for 4-5 hours straight.

12. insane79 macrumors 6502

Thats some nice info, are you playing games with windows or native osx? i m planning to do windows gaming on my late 2012 iMac & thinking of getting a fan control software just to be on the safe side.

Thanks..

13. Avanti1946 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 19, 2016 ---
    The reason you do not note the fan increasing in speed is because it does not the sensor for this is the same as to cut the machine out on overheating. Logic says it's a fire hazard. The reason for your graphic problem is the Cpu riser board cooling has failed and therefore the heat from the CPU riser is cooking the graphics riser. Apple diagnostics does not identify this. Apple Senior Support have been trying to cover this up since the 5th of April 2016. My Macpro is still with an Authorised Service Provider who is trying there best and fully agreed with my diagnosis Apple have never made contact with them despite numerous claims they would. Perhaps I'm old fashioned as in my day it was known as telling lies. So to date the authorised service provider has a new Cpu riser and graphics delivered. What else has been damaged remains to be known.

14. cynics thread starter macrumors G4

It was a memory leak in the Mac client of ESO. They fixed the problem, Mac has been running fine for the 2 years since that post. Actually it's been encoding video around 90+ celsius for years.

I'll probably retire it when the new iMacs come out later this year.