Late 2013 Retina 13" always slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dannymbp, Sep 18, 2014.

1. dannymbp macrumors newbie

I'm a freelance graphic designer and use Illustrator and Photoshop frequently, but it seems I never have more than 1.5GB of my 8GB RAM free, and that's after I've used Memory Clean to free up some memory.

I do have a lot of fonts, and I'm guessing that could be part of the cause? I use Suitcase Fusion though and even when I deactivate all of the fonts, that doesn't free up much room.

Anyone got any recommendations?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Free RAM is wasted RAM. You should have as much RAM used as possible for the computer to run faster, so that RAM caching can be fully taken advantage of.

If your memory pressure is free, then it's good.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As Above

Your headline said your computer was slow but you gave no examples of that slowness so we have no chance of diagnosing your problems (if there are any and you aren't just reading your RAM usage wrong and assuming slowness).

As to RAM OSX will use as much as possible to help keep things smooth check your RAM usage again and look at the graph as long as that is green and you have no page outs then you are golden. (My mac will often get to 12gb usage on 8gb before running into issues due to RAM compression in OSX).

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Don't use any ram cleaning programs with Mavericks. Let it manage the ram on its own. It will always use the ram that is available. The only thing that matters is that the memory pressure is in the green. If it is, you are good.

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

OP, in other words, Mavericks and Yosemite are using ram differently now and if your "Memory Pressure" shows green than you are OK. This is now a most often question from those that have not read the new memory management info from Apple

Attached Files:

6. dannymbp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh that'll be it then. It's all green so I guess I'm good, cheers guys.