Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro Black Screen After Waking from Sleep (Possibly the Back Light)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theeoin, Nov 6, 2016.

1. theeoin macrumors newbie

Hey All,

On Friday night I got back to my hotel and decided to startup my rMBP and after getting distracted by something (possibly my phone), I closed the 'lid' of it and left it for about 20 minutes and after remembering what I was originally planning to do (work on my rMBP) I opened the lid and the screen won't come back on.

The rest of the rMBP appears to be working as normal, I've just gotten home and I've plugged it into a TV via HDMI. I can view the screen on the TV, the keyboard (and its backlight) work, as does the sound.

After searching on my phone that I night I've tried both ([1](http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/22/fix-macbook-pro-booting-black-screen/) & [2](https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063)) of these suggestions but to no avail. I have also tried to restore from an old Time Machine Backup, that didn't work either.

I can, however, see part of the screen when shinning a light through the Apple logo on the back. This does lead me to believe that it is a problem with the Back Light of the screen but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Specs:

Late 2013 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris 1536 MB

2. chscag macrumors 68000

It sure sounds like the backlight has failed or is not functioning correctly. I would first try a SMC reset before doing anything else. If that doesn't restore the backlight to normal, you might want to go to ifixit (www.ifixit.com) and see if they have any trouble shooting tips. Older models (pre-retina) with LED backlighting have a fuse on the logic board which occasionally fails and turns off the backlight. Replacing the fuse restores the backlight. However, I don't know if the same applies to retina models.

3. theeoin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the reset didn't work. I'll see what iFixit has the say. I've tried booking support at the Apple Store but there's no slots for the next week.