Late 2013 rMBP Backlight Bleeding Test

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

With all the attention towards Image Retention and Yellow or Uneven Spots on our screens, we have not been paying attention to the possibility of the screens bleeding on the corners. Below is a test you can run at full screen and brightness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexJRnud32U

I have some light bleeding on my right upperhand corner of which I noticed when installing Windows 8. It's minimal but it sure is there. After several returns, I think I'm keeping this even if my screen has some light bleeding.

2. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mind posting pictures of your screens for comparison? Will be posting one when I get home. I have a perfect unit other than the minor backlight bleeding. It may not be worth returning only to have other more significant problems.

3. Breedlove macrumors regular

4. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Is that suppose to be a black background? lol

5. Breedlove macrumors regular

Don't rub it in :(

6. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing. Looks worse on the picture right, not as bad in person? Lg or Samsung?

7. Breedlove macrumors regular

The discoloration isn't as bad in person but the bleeding is apparent in a bright room.

Samsung (5th one I will be returning, hoping this next one is my last...)

8. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

When I had mine, the backlight was pretty good.

Just had something at the bottom (white glow like), not sure if it was bleeding since it was most apparent on white backgrounds.

9. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

They came out barely three weeks and already on 5th replacement? Wow. Must be returning them to a store. And yeah that bleed is bad, very bad.

10. Breedlove macrumors regular

One to Amazon.
    Four to Apple Store.
    Just got back from the store just now actually
    Finally a good screen.

Samsung but no bleeding and no yellowing!

:cool::cool::cool:

11. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lucky you. Can you or anyone without backlight bleeding post a picture? Is there such retina screen without any bleeding at all?

I took several pictures and picked one which shows what it looks in person. Would you return it?:
    [​IMG]

12. ducatiti, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have read somewhere that LG uses a different filtering system to prevent IPS glow. This filter gives a green effect on the left and red hues on the right hand side which is prevalent in dark screens.

Can someone confirm that these red/green hues are actually not backlight bleeding, but a normal characteristic due to how LG filters the IPS screen?

Perfect picture examples of red and green hues found here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1662798

13. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can someone confirm that I have an IPS Glow rather than backlight bleeding which is normal for these displays? I plan to return it again if ever.